To buy or not to buy...

bradleyheathhays

Looking for my first band saw on the cheap and I found a 14" Reliant on sale for $50 but the seller says it needs a 1 HP motor. If I can find a used motor for around $50 then I'd go for it but I have no idea what size/type pulley the motor would need, and I'm guessing the seller doesn't either. I know the Reliant brand is akin to something like Harbor Freight so I know it's not worth much trouble, but the wallet is a bit slim at the moment.

I suppose I could find the right HP motor at the local electric repair shop but does anyone have advice on what size/type pulley I should look for to go with this saw?

PS. I know the general advice is gonna be to skip this one altogether and look for something better, but there's just no other way I'm gonna find this cutting height (which I need) at the ~$100 price range.

8dbCMZ1.jpg

FNPGz0o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately someone else got to this 14" right before I committed.  I ended up with a decent 12" Craftsman instead.  Sturdy factory base with some kind of original built-in digital readout although I'm not sure if it works.  Saw runs fairly well with 6" cut height, 2 speeds, 1.25 hp, and a huge table that tilts 45 deg..  Any suggestion for good performing but economical belts or tires?  I'm finding sets of tires on Amazon for around $18 but I'm wondering if that's too cheap to be any good.

I'm not sure about tires, but for belts you may want to find a local belt/hose supplier.  When I worked as a forklift mechanic, I would have to visit one regularly to match up v-belts and/or hoses for equipment I was working on.  The ones I visited seemed to have every size of v-belt and serpentine belt available at the time.