Newbie Question-Wood Workbench

Hi all,

I am a longtime woodworker who is starting to try his hand at metalworking. While I have a small metal welding table that I use when brazing/soldering (and MIG/TIG once I learn those processes and get a rig), almost all of the workspace in my shop is made of wood butcher block given my background. Assuming I vigorously cleaned the area to remove all sawdust/wood shavings, could I use those wooden tables to mount an abrasive chop saw and a metal bench vise to use with an angle grinder or would the sparks created by cutting/shaping metal stock on top of those surfaces pose a safety hazard/be otherwise problematic? Thanks so much for the help!

Hello and welcome Normans54 . Well i will give you answer diferent way . We are welding and grinding everyday , im telling my guys sometimes 10x a day , move that rag ( for cleaning ) , take that brush ( broom) a way , when you fnish with spraying then clean that foil or cardbard ... Let guess what is happen 10x a day ..:) YES , YES one splash of break cleaner one spark and .... Back to your problem ... yes you can weld there but be honest you are going to take that risk .. ? Min 30min before i close company nobody weldig , grinding , if something flamable left in workshop then on the floor so if we left then no prob can be some small fire ... Was many time happen in the morning watching stuff which burned over nignt ..:) Im happy if you will learn how to weld you can be lucky 999x but once you forgot something and then you need just brush to clean your place after fire. Tig is not that bad with sparks but MIG/MAG , MMA  will burn your house. Stay safe mate and think twice what you do at your place ..:) Good luck

WELD ON - Easy to weld .. :)