New Dewalt DCD996b speed switch slipping

Icedriller

Howdy yall, first time on this forum. Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here we go. I purchased a new dcd996b for my ice fishing setup. First time on the ice I started having issues with the drill. The settings I use are speed 1 (lowest speed) and the drilling symbol on the collar for max torque. Even with the max torque and lowest speed the drill continues to make disturbing clacking noises while drilling through the ice. It almost feels like its catching somehow. I have tried barely depressing the trigger for slower speed but the same issue occurs. It still drills holes but the drill stops completely 3 or so times each hole. More recently the same issue is occuring but now the "catching/clacking noise" occurs more and the speed selector pops into speed 2. I am using a lightweight nylon polymer flight for my auger. I have no clue what is going on. Any tips or information would be helpful. Did I buy a bum drill? Thanks a bunch yall.

Sounds like it may be an issue with the drill making a noise.  But it doesn't surprise me that it's cutting out multiple times on a hole, it takes a lot of torque to turn an auger and the electronics are going to be sensitive to binds.  Battery size, charge level, and temp could all be a factor with it stopping in holes too.  Don't know how much experience you have with cordless power tools but it's going to perform best on larger a/h batteries (at least 4ah and the bigger the better).  While power fade isn't as bad as they were with old nicad power tools, the drill will have more power with the first half of battery than the second half, leading to more cut outs.  Like with most batteries if they're cold they aren't going to perform as well which could lead to cut outs. 

• Thanks 1