M12 and M18 batteries and chargers

Nukedaddy

Ok, first I must admit that some of my Milwaukee “look-alike” counterfeit batteries are in this mix. Here’s what I am seeing. Some of me small M12 batteries are giving me the red-green no-good flash when charged on my newer dual purpose genuine Milwaukee M12 and M18 charger. But if I put the same battery on one of my older M12 only chargers they charge normally. The voltage, checked with a Milwaukee M12 DVOM is 7.7 VDC. Why?

Also, I have a new counterfeit M12 that placed on the charger flashes the red-green blinker of death. New, right out of the box. They came as a pair. The other battery charged normal. The one that blinked r/g tested at 20.2 VDC.  Weird! 
Any suggestion or explanations? Do Milwaukee chargers have kill-pill programming that can detect Chinesium contaminated batteries?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, Nukedaddy said:

Ok, first I must admit that some of my Milwaukee “look-alike” counterfeit batteries are in this mix. Here’s what I am seeing. Some of me small M12 batteries are giving me the red-green no-good flash when charged on my newer dual purpose genuine Milwaukee M12 and M18 charger. But if I put the same battery on one of my older M12 only chargers they charge normally. The voltage, checked with a Milwaukee M12 DVOM is 7.7 VDC. Why?

Also, I have a new counterfeit M12 that placed on the charger flashes the red-green blinker of death. New, right out of the box. They came as a pair. The other battery charged normal. The one that blinked r/g tested at 20.2 VDC.  Weird! 
Any suggestion or explanations? Do Milwaukee chargers have kill-pill programming that can detect Chinesium contaminated batteries?

Interesting. I haven't had any issues with our M12 batteries or M12 charger, though I don't use them as often as I thought I would, and I'm not sure at what approx charge level would be best for storing them at. Haven't tried testing them.

Also never tried any Chinesium's, other than of course the genuine Milwaukee M12's -- since all or most Milwaukee products are made in China.

Did just order a M12 & M18 charger yesterday though, as we're trying to decide whether or not to purchase the M18 hedge trimmer -- that's currently being offered with a 'free' XC 5.0 ah battery through end of June (or maybe July 6~7ish?). We currently don't have any cordless OPE. And while the cordless hedge trimmers look pretty much like a no brainer in many respects, I'm still wobblin' on the fence about battery life and... the fact that most if not all no longer have trigger locks !=((  So I guess I'm stuck at that [big negative for me] right now, wondering if I'd be okay with no trigger lock eventually, and get used to it at some point.  As the first thing I've always done with our corded B&D hedger is lock the trigger before hedging, for stretched-out one handed trimming.