Tools overlapping uses.

vaultman

You would only need two in my opinion. The impact driver and wrench would, which one you would use depends on what you will use it for, the impact driver for screwdriving and light nut and bolt use. The impact wrench will have more power for nuts and bolts but if you would use it for screwdriving then you would need an adaptor and that would make the tool bigger. It all depends on what you will need them for. As for the drill and screwdriver I would get the drill unless the size of the screwdriver is important.

That's really a matter of personal taste. My M12 screw gun is probably the most used power tool I own. I use it for everything. Could I use an impact instead? Sure I could, but the clutch settings and such give me far better control on many projects like assembly work. I have an M18 impact driver and wrench, but in either scenario, I'd pass on the M12 wrench.

If I had no M12 tools, was just getting into the line, and had the budget for 4 tools, I'd get the Drill, screwdriver, jig saw, and right angle drill. Those are 4 M12 tools that really stand out IMO.

If I didn't have an M18 impact driver I'd get the M12 driver in place of the right angle.

• Like 1

Neither tool will make any other obsolete. It may seem like why bother with x tool if y tool can do what x does and more. The thing is that each has pro and cons and is better suited at a specific task.

If you break it down into what each each does best you can better decide what you will be getting. I find drills to be best at drilling but are great overall for driving too, impacts best at driving fasteners, screwdrivers at driving screw's usually lighter screw's but the fuel models are as good as a drill, and wrenches at higher torque applications.

If i was to get only one I would get the drill. Since i already have the m18 hammer drill and a bunch of m12 tools I think i would just get the fuel or the newer brushed m12 screwdriver as those are just as powerful as the m12 similar drills but that's what i would get.

I don't know about the m12 fuel tools but the m18 hammer drill can do common things quicker than an the m18 impact

You know Vaultman, that might not be and idea. Having two platforms gives you more versatlity at work or home. I use the M12 line for all sorts of carpentry and furniture building as well as finish work. I have the M18 Fuel impact or, a recip saw and a circular saw S we'll as work light. The M18 impact is great for heavy driving applications. You have to look at the type of work you do too, are you into carpentry / woodworking, are you a mechanic turning wrenches. That'll guide you too. I do not own an impact wrench. It'd be. Ice but for the very few instances that I'd use it it's not a tool I want to justify spending cash on. But if you are turning wrenches, that tool will be really useful. My impact driver loosens all the nuts I come in contact with but will not loosen lug nuts. I have a big honking wrench for that! You can't go wrong with Milwaukee either!

That is the only complaint I have about my M12 fuel drill is the length of them you are pretty close to what a full sized drill would be. It still is compact because of the smaller battery pack though. The Bosch ec which is their brushless line is more geared to having the most compact tool with the best run time not balls to the wall power like Milwaukee fuel. The screw driver is one of those tools that you wouldn't think you would like but it is pretty handy. That M12 jigsaw is pretty nice too.

Yeah my Fuel was pretty big. Awesome tool though! I bought the T15+3 with the different heads. I can now use a short drive head similar to that of an Impactor making it much shorter the the fuel. Additionally I can use a right angle driver head as well as an offset driver head to drill inside of a drawer slide etc. I can't wait to try out the M12 jig, I just have been too busy painting and making a basic coat rack and I don't need to use it for that. I am making shelves here in the next week so I'll put it through its paces though!

Thanks again y'all. I am mainly into woodworking. Small furniture building stuff. Then the regular home repair guy. I just thought I would ask the question because I did not know if it was all a marketing scheme or a true need for some people. I will stick with my m12 drill, but eventually step up to m18 for the bigger tasks.

For me the M12 impact makes the least sense. Most applications in which I use an impact are fastening 1x's to 2x's with 2"- 4" screws which is on the higher end of the M12's range. I guess what I'm saying is that there aren't enough situations where I can do without M18 power and benefit from M12 size where the precision of the screw gun isn't the better option.

I'm not at all saying the M12 impact isn't a capable tool or that it doesn't have it's place, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for me personally.

I'm with you Travis. An impactor for me makes sense in the larger size (ie 20v 18v etc) as my M12 could really drill a LOT of types of materials as we'll as drive screws. My M18 impactor is really useful for fastening big objects that my smaller drill couldn't handle.

This thread is seriously tempting me to grab the Dewalt 10.8V / 12V Max screwdriver (i already have the drill). i sold the 10.8V impact for the reasons given above (the 20V kicks its butt)

Well Dwain, I'm not a Dewalt guy, but you'll be hard pressed to find a more comfortable grip on any 12v line tool out there. Plus they seem to be pretty slick. I'll always say go Red but...:)

This thread is seriously tempting me to grab the Dewalt 10.8V / 12V Max screwdriver (i already have the drill). i sold the 10.8V impact for the reasons given above (the 20V kicks its butt)

You won't regret it. Very precise and manageable for smaller fasteners. I've never ran into a situation where the M18 impact was to big and the M12 screw gun was too small.

yeah i recently used the 10.8v drill to assemble a flat packed storage unit, because the 18v impact is just a little hard to control for fine work with its high rpm and impact function. a screwdriver would be even better ...

When I was looking in to 12v tools I like the the feel of the DeWalt in my hand and at the time they had the flat packs and the tool would set up when you sat it down.  I didn't like the fat grip of the others. I would like to see Dewalt expand their 12v line.