HOW TO REMOVE THE ROHM SUPRA SK CHUCK!

kanxrus

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

New here.. Needed to replace my chuck on the DCD950 and this video is invaluable.  How much loctite do I use (on all threads, just at the bottom..), and should I get the red or blue loctite?

Also, if I dont have a mallet when hitting the allen wrench, would a hammer be just as fine?

• 1 month later...

Quick question:

I have read the Rohm chuck should never be opened or closed by using the drill itself, rather only hand-tighten the chuck with the spindle locked.  Is this true?  I never had a problem with my DC927 chuck until I lent my drill to a friend and he used the drill motor to tighten the chuck onto a bit.  Afterwards the chuck would lose it's grip if I tried to free a stuck bit in reverse.  Never had that issue prior.  Now I have bought a 700 Jacobs chuck to replace the old Rohm, and I won't lend out my $300 drill again.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quick question:

I have read the Rohm chuck should never be opened or closed by using the drill itself, rather only hand-tighten the chuck with the spindle locked.  Is this true?  I never had a problem with my DC927 chuck until I lent my drill to a friend and he used the drill motor to tighten the chuck onto a bit.  Afterwards the chuck would lose it's grip if I tried to free a stuck bit in reverse.  Never had that issue prior.  Now I have bought a 700 Jacobs chuck to replace the old Rohm, and I won't lend out my $300 drill again.

Thanks,

Jeff

I have never heard of using the motor to open or close the chuck being a problem.  I will not go so far as to say what is the proper way to use it, but I always (as in EVERY time) use the motor to tighten or loosen my chuck.

From the DC927 owners manual:

"Self-Tightening Chuck Operation (Fig. 5–7)

WARNING: Do not attempt to tighten drill bits (or any other accessory) by gripping the front

part of the chuck and turning the tool on. Damage to the chuck and personal injury may result.

Always lock off trigger switch when changing acces sories.

WARNING: Always ensure the bit is secure before starting the tool. A loose bit may eject

from tool causing possible personal injury."

p.s. The new Jacobs 700 series chuck works fine.  When it fails I may try the Rohm again.

Jeff

• 3 months later...

Dewaltdude.. so I had applied loctite and installed the Rohm chuck on my DCD950 back when I asked a couple questions in this thread.  Fast forward to yesterday at work, I'm using it to try to take out a 4 inch phillips head screw that is in a concrete wall.  I put my drill on drill mode, highest clutch setting on gear 1.  

The screw didnt move, I stripped it a little bit and then after a quick second my chuck fell off! :(  

What am I doing wrong here?  I just redid the installation last night and applied a very liberal amount of loctite this time.  Used a hammer and wacked the allen key real good.

I got this stuff at Discount auto parts..  Permatex Threadlocker Red.

Wonder if it's just crappy. I put it on the last few threads closest to the inside of the threaded spindle the first time I installed the chuck.

This time I put significantly more on the threads so I will see what happens.

Bottom line it should never come off no matter how torqued a screw is in right?

my suggestion is to grind a little off the tip of the screw... my guess would be that the screw is a hair too long and not allowing it to tighten down... that or add a washer, with a big enough hole for the screw and small enough to fit in the chuck... IMO.

EDIT: i just noticed that this chuck does not have a screw to lock it in.

@tooljoe, thanks for the suggestion but this is the stock chuck for the DCD950.

@dewaltdude, I let the thread locker dry the first time I installed it for a few days. However at that time just applied a small amount on the base of the spindle where the chuck attaches. Used the drill only a handful of times before it fell off trying to extract a rather stubborn screw from concrete. Now that I've applied a rather liberal amount of thread locker red to the threads and it's dried for several days I may go back and see if I can get that screw out without it falling off again...

What a headache!

Quick question:

Thanks,

Jeff

I have never heard of using the motor to open or close the chuck being a problem.  I will not go so far as to say what is the proper way to use it, but I always (as in EVERY time) use the motor to tighten or loosen my chuck.

Yes it does exist in some manufactures key less chuck ,Metabo chuck does this to prevent the chuck from destroy it and you must then open the key less chuck removing the safety clutch behind the chuck and loose the chuck.

• 11 months later...