It's Time... (House Cleaning/Organization/Updates)

fm2176

So, for about 13 months now, I've been out of the Army.  As some of you know, I moved back to the house I bought as a Recruiter.  Custom home, built in 1979/1980, and in need of updating.  For better or worse, it's been a constant struggle to conjure up the motivation to do much these past few months.  I've maintained the place, but that's about it...replaced the water heater elements, then the dishwasher went out and had to be replaced, and most recently the washer was replaced.  Oh, and my neighbor had the AC unit replaced when it went out just before I moved back, so that and more means that I've sunk well over $10k in doing stuff this past year.  The full-time job and other things just sap my energy.  All that changed a few days ago when I found out that we'll very likely be getting guardianship over a family member's toddler and hosting their husky by the end of next week.  

I went out yesterday and got a 10'x12' shed.  Not the most financially sound decision, but I needed one time now to start organizing the garage.  It's nice, with electrical installed, a 72" double door access and a pre-hung entry door.  With space organization comes tool organization and--hopefully--the motivation to knock out some projects around here.  We'll also have a dumpster coming, hopefully by this evening.  Originally, I took unpaid time off to go to an event.  We cancelled those plans, and I would be in Georgia right now clearing out some storage units, but this came up.  So, we've got until next week to shift a kid to another room, make small improvements while cleaning ("GI-ing" in Army terms, basically, everything comes out of a room and a deep scrubbing is done), and prepare for this unforeseen chapter in life.  

The good thing is that we're finally in a stable enough position to not only care for another child and a dog, but that as I get the garages cleared out, I can begin turning them into another 600 square-feet of living space.  It's going to take some work, but it'll be well worth it.

• Like 1

I hear you.  I remodeled my whole house and it was a huge project.  My house wasn't big but it took a long time.  I took all the plaster down and stripped everything.  I look back at it and don't know if I would have the energy to do it again.  However in the end it was worth it.  As long as you and your wife have patience, no worries.  Best of luck and congratulations on the two new additions to the family.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the kid is here, and my sister stayed busy, doing more in a week than I've done in a year.  My double garage is half-cleared out and we filled a 15-yard dumpster.  The good thing about having her do a lot of the cleaning while I was at work is that there is zero attachment.  A lot of things bring back memories, so it's hard tossing something that I picked up in Iraq 20 years ago, or Afghanistan 10 years ago.  I tried to salvage my M65 field jacket I'd had rank and patches sewn on when still with the 101st Airborne, but that thing was dry-rotten.  So long as the Republican Guard uniform is still around (I think it's in the gun room), I don't really need to continue hanging on to everything.  Heck, I might be a step closer to finding my Saddam picture liberated from his namesake Airport (now Baghdad International) in early April 2003.  

My neighbor's bringing his trencher home once it cools off a bit more and replacing the shed's light fixture with a 4-ft LED.  I'm going to run a security light on the side of it as well.

The dogs are getting along fine; the lab is too old to really care but has shown a little aggression if he thinks the husky is overstepping her bounds, while the cur is just vocal about everything.  Surprisingly, the husky hasn't started talking back...yet.  

I hear you about attachment.  I have stuff I hang onto when I know I shouldn't.  The logical part (my small part of my Brain) says to get rid of an item while the other side of my brain says to keep it.  Sounds like you have some very cool things.  I am the same with the FD stuff I have.  Some of the stuff I have I will never use, but I keep it.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 8:24 AM, Eric - TIA said:

I hear you about attachment.  I have stuff I hang onto when I know I shouldn't.  The logical part (my small part of my Brain) says to get rid of an item while the other side of my brain says to keep it.  Sounds like you have some very cool things.  I am the same with the FD stuff I have.  Some of the stuff I have I will never use, but I keep it.

I can imagine.  I'm hanging onto helmets, like the IHPS I got in my last year of service, the PASGT I wore in Iraq, and a MICH.  I think the MICH I was issued in 2005 was turned in, though, despite being the one I wore the most, including in Afghanistan.  I should have an extra lying around somewhere.

As the kids continue growing into adulthood, I'll probably have my little space somewhere to display some of the uniforms; maybe I'll even expand the gun room from the closet it's currently in.  I'm thinking Dragonman (I jest).  As well all get older, though, it would be nice to have an out-of-the-way place to store military memorabilia so I can show the grandkids one day and make it easier for everyone to loot when I'm gone. 😇 

Yes, it would be hard to get rid of those items, and think it would be very cool to have them around for the kids and grandkids.  All that stuff would be hard to part with and don't think I would.  It's like my FD stuff, I keep it since I retired, not sure why except it has some memories and I know that was mine stuff I wore.  I just have to get over the hump of getting rid of stuff I do not need like 20 fishing rods.  I only need a couple, it's stuff like that.

• Like 1

Never got into fishing, but if I did, I'd be the Store Brand Hero since I work for probably the largest outdoor retailer, owned and founded by a fisherman.  We get 50% off of store brands which applies to everything from apparel to gun safes.  I gotta watch myself!

• Like 1