Ego Commercial Updates

Jronman

Ego released more information regarding the upcoming commercial range of products. Last year they announced a bunch of handheld products, a backpack blower, and a charging system. Apparently most of what they announced last year was prototype stage. The backpack blower has been on sale for a bit. The handheld tools are rolling out to stores currently and should be available very soon. The new charging system now has a name called PGX or Power Grid X. Feature wise it seems basically the same except it is advertised as being able to charge 70 batteries instead of the 96 they advertised last year. They said you can buy the main hub and one 3 bay battery module for around $600. Extra battery modules will be lower priced. The biggest expense is the hub which controls the whole Modular charging setup. The hub also will have an app to manage the chargers and batteries and more it sounded like. I don’t know when it will be available. They also have more information on the portable charging setup and the new large form factor battery. The new large battery will be 40 amp hour at 56v. It will work as them means to charge the regular batteries when mobile. The charger, one large battery, and two regular batteries will be sold for well under $2500 Ego says. Release date is unknown. The large battery will also be able to power a new commercial zero turn riding mower. They mower can fit what’s looks to me like 3 large batteries and one regular battery. The new mower will come with deck sizes from 48 to 60 inches. It is also described the motor will have more power than the hybrid system on the Ford f-150. In terms of accessories for the zero turn, Ego did not give any information. Also they did not give information on release date that I know of. Another mower they announced is a 22 in commercial walk behind. They claim it is the most powerful walk behind mower gas or electeic in its class. They also talked about how their mower torque is rated at running speed and not at idle. I don’t recall any estimated price given but it is expected to come to stores January 2024.

I am wanting to get into the PGX charging setup myself. Nothing much just one hub and maybe two charging modules. I also want a few of the handheld tools. The rider is a no from me. The push mower could be a possibility but I don’t have much need for one. Regardless demoing each could be fun.

Looked like a commercial 20 inch chainsaw is coming. I have updated information on other products. The PGX controller hub will be priced at $400 and the charging modules will be $200 each. No batteries included. The charging modules will be e-track compatible. The commercial 22 inch walk behind will be $1300 bare tool (about the price of an equivalent gas unit) and have an accessory for side discharge. The zero turn will have a powered bagging system available eventually. The zero turn will also work as a charger and plugs in like the residential zero turn mowers. The slot on the mower for the regular batteries is for charging the battery.

• 4 weeks later...

More updates

The riding mower supposedly has a 4th slot for a big battery under the seat. I can't confirm nor deny this claim. I think the kit comes with 2 of the big batteries. Ego wants the price to work with the user. Some users don't need all 4 batteries and therefore Ego has a more affordable option. Ego claimed built in batteries are more expensive because you have to pay for the max runtime regardless of if you need it or not. I also like removable batteries in riding mowers because you can swap in a fresh set if you need to keep mowing versus a built in solution you would have to wait for the machine to charge. The battery slot for a regular battery is to use the mower as a charger for regular batteries.

The 20 inch chainsaw has a screen on it (never thought I would see a chainsaw with a screen on it). You can also set the rate of flow for the oil system for the chain.
the new 22inch commercial walk behind mower has height adjust in the front separate from the back. This will allow for adjusting the rake of the mower. It also has lights standard like many other Ego tools. I forgot to mention the deck is aluminum and the motor fits 2 batteries. There is also a similar metal deck residential model coming but it fits only one battery. The new 22 inch mowers will have the ability to run at a blade tip speed of 19,000 feet per minute. This is the legal max speed limit for mower blades. The residential model kit will cost roughly the same as the commercial model bare tool.

All the initial gen 2 commercial products announced last year except the backpack blower were considered prototypes. About a year later and all of them are now available to purchase at some places. The chargers and big batteries are not available yet. I don't know when those will become available. Sounds like every tool will have some kind of bluetooth features. I am not sure what all the bluetooth features will include but I know it will be able to track charge cycles of batteries and other important information. It will even know when batteries are ready to be replaced.

• Like 2