wingless' NorthStar 4,000 psi 3.5 gpm 17 Year Old Pressure Washer Refurbishment

wingless

My NorthStar M1578111D 4,000 psi 5 gpm pressure washer was purchased new 17 years ago from Northern Tool and has been a virtually flawless performer over those many years.

This is an excellent machine, w/ a Honda GX380 13.0 hp engine and a Cat Pumps 66DX35G1I direct drive three plunger pump. This particular model has been discontinued, but the most similar model is this NorthStar 157127 pressure washer, having similar components and specifications.

The pressure washer is always used w/ this Cat Pumps 7632 rotating turbo nozzle. It is waaay better than those fixed angle fan nozzles. This has a 0° nozzle that spins at very high speed on a 20° arc, blasting away anything / everything on the surface. It removes dirt / weeds / paint like nothing else.

Mine also has this 5,000 psi output pressure gauge.

This tool has been properly maintained w/ regular engine and pump oil changes, air filter changes and wheel hub greasing.

The only real equipment problem over the years had been having to swap both wheels twice because the poorly welded hubs detached from the wheels. The last replacement was using Amazon parts instead of NorthStar parts and the hub welds now appears sufficient to last the duration.

Imagine my surprise when I went to use my pressure washer recently and the engine acted like the gasoline flow rate was insufficient. It would require a short operational pause, resume normal operation, then stumble like it again didn't have enough gasoline.

The carburetor bowl and body were already clean and there was zero difference when they were cleaned again.

The fuel hose was removed from the carb and gasoline barely came out as a dribble. Blowing air backwards into the gas tank had zero effect on restoring normal flow.

The fuel tank was removed, drained and the tank output fitting was unscrewed, removed, revealing the problem. That output fitting has a long / skinny / four segment screen and that screen was filled w/ crud.

The screen was cleaned w/ a toothbrush and WD-40, restoring a new appearance.

The fitting and fuel tank were replaced. 

Now the pressure washer again operates normally.

My prior property had a backyard swimming pool and the pathway had uneven pavers. Rolling the pressure washer back and forth into that backyard over many years resulted in the frame handle tubes cracking. I decided to replace that frame base at this time, prior to the handles breaking off.

My engine lift and a strap were used to raise / lower the moderately heavy engine / pump assembly to aid the process.

Now the entire assembly looks and performs like new again.

Dirty / Clean Tank Fuel Fitting Screen

53384093748_ea78cd5bb5_c.jpg

Cracked / Split Frame Handle Tubes

53383915896_12aefaaee5_c.jpg

53382994482_3c6ec86160_c.jpg

Old and New Frames

53383915871_c9fb26bd0d_c.jpg

Lifting Engine / Pump from Frame

53383915891_7d5098f285_c.jpg

Pressure Washer Reassembled and Again Ready for Usage

53384228624_65d92db13c_c.jpg

53384228619_15cd49692c_c.jpg