Cordless Chainsaw, Stihl or DeWALT?!

Altan

Hi

I am not very good with Outdoor power tools, I have not used a chainsaw in my life at all, so very limited experience with OPT, I am going to buy a chainsaw. I would prefer it to be a cordless one. I would use it for long semi-heavy use in a big land full of trees always trimming them, cutting the old dead trees. I checked Bosch Professional line and I found out they don't make any cordless one. Metabo has only a model and it seems they released it a couple of years ago and it works with 2 x 18V batteries and the bar is 40cm. Makita ones did not attract me at all and it seems if you want Makita one you should jump to 40V platform and buy new batteries. HiKoKi makes one with 30cm bar 36V and the only good thing was you could use their battery shaped AC adapter with it also, but in a big land wire is a problem. Milwaukee has a few models it seems but I don't want to get in another battery platform. So at the end it seems I have to chose between DeWALT and Stihl. DeWALT has one model with 20" or 50cm bar and 60V Flexvolt which they use different model numbers for it in EU and US, it seems, Made in China. Then there is one from Stihl, 36V cordless and the bar is 45cm as optional ( you can have 35cm, 40cm or 45cm bar for it ) Made in USA. Comparably DeWALT is much newer in OPT compared to Stihl. What do you think I should go for? Is there any other brand you would recommend? I would prefer not to get Chinese made tool if possible.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi! May be you already taken you decision but I want to give my experience with more than 15 chainsaws most of them cordless.

I have all makita 18 and 2x18(36v) and performs very well considering they are very slim lightweight and balanced. Just let the saw cut and not force them. 

my models are made in Germany and Romania.

batteries are very common and reliable.

Dewalt flexvolt never tried but some owner in forums claimed some defect due to “non experience” in forest tool from Dewalt.

stihl you will go on the sure satisfaction but only with the professional line example the MSA300 that cost a fortune and batteries are exclusive use on Stihl tools.

ot depends on money and the tools and batteries you may already have.

please tell us what you choose!! Good work!

• Thanks 1