Considering a DeWalt DCD920KX - Questions

Guest Jopopsy

Guest Jopopsy

Hey Gang, I'm considering the above tool.  My questions relate to the XRP battery - they are nicads right?  I'm not a person who uses this type of tool for a living - it will go long periods in the case before I use it again.  I'm assuming I can't leave it in the case for weeks on end right? 

Per the manual, I'll have to put my batts on maintenance charge weekly to keep everything in good shape, right?

Thanks in advance.

Yes the DCD920KX comes with 2 XRP NiCd batteries DC9096. As per the manual, you will see optimal result's if you charge your batteries in tuneup mode weekly. However, you can leave Dewalt's NiCd batteries on the charger indefinitely.

If you do plan occasionally using this drill, you may consider a lithium option. Like the DCD960KL. The batteries require less maintenance, with a slower discharge rate.

Click HERE and read the 2nd and 3rd post.

Guest Jopopsy

Aside from the battery, what is the differance between the 12, 14.4, and 18 volt varieties of this tool?  They look like they all have the same specifications.  Are the battery compartments in the handle the same form factor, size, etc? 

I guess what I'm asking is can somebody buy the 12 V variety, and later on slap a 18 V battery pack on?  My thinking goes if you can do this, you can also turn it into a lithium ion tool down the road ....

Aside from the battery, what is the differance between the 12, 14.4, and 18 volt varieties of this tool?  They look like they all have the same specifications.  Are the battery compartments in the handle the same form factor, size, etc? 

I guess what I'm asking is can somebody buy the 12 V variety, and later on slap a 18 V battery pack on?  My thinking goes if you can do this, you can also turn it into a lithium ion tool down the road ....

Compare.JPG

The Drills apart from the battery are pretty much the same. Batteries of a different voltage are not interchangeable. If you really wanted to swap batteries, simply buy a new clamshell for the appropriate voltage and swap the guts. However I wouldn't recommend it. As far as lithium is concerned, the 18v and 14v lithium batteries are all interchangeable with their NiCd counterparts.

If you will use it seldom, buy NiCd. For very simple reason, that you can never accurately tell the Li-Ion charge level. One day you will be using your tool and forget to recharge it. Near-dead li-ion will overdischarge in a month and will stop working. NiCd can take a lot more abuse.

However, you can leave Dewalt's NiCd batteries on the charger indefinitely.

Nope, you can't. After 2+ weeks your batteries will start losing capacity due to overcharge. Yes, you can overcharge NiCd with trickle. Also, NiCd has very long shelf life you can discharge them to about 20% and then let them sit on a shelf for a year with minimal capacity loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-cadmium_battery#Battery_Characteristics

Also, leaving batteries on a charger for long periods of time unsupervised is just asking to set the house on fire. ALL brands chargers and batteries can catch on fire if left for a long time. Go to any RC forums or Candlepower forums, there are hundreds of cases (esp Milwaukee NiCd chargers) of fires.

If you have a production shop, chargers left overnight should be sitting in a metal enclosure.

Nope, you can't. After 2+ weeks your batteries will start losing capacity due to overcharge. Yes, you can overcharge NiCd with trickle. Also, NiCd has very long shelf life you can discharge them to about 20% and then let them sit on a shelf for a year with minimal capacity loss.

According to Dewalt, you can. Just so we are all clear here on the specs. I would trust Dewalt's own testing before I trusted a general Wiki.

batspecs.jpg

Guest Jopopsy

Compare.JPG

The Drills apart from the battery are pretty much the same. Batteries of a different voltage are not interchangeable. If you really wanted to swap batteries, simply buy a new clamshell for the appropriate voltage and swap the guts. However I wouldn't recommend it. As far as lithium is concerned, the 18v and 14v lithium batteries are all interchangeable with their NiCd counterparts.

I didn't know there was a 14.4 v Lithium from DeWalt - that's news to me. 

Guest Jopopsy

This is all very great information.  So, let me see if I have all this correctly - pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

A.  The NiCd XRP battery packs, even though 'old' technology, will generally give me longevity and good performance so long as I remember to NOT drain them down to zero and put them on maintenance / trickle charge at least once a month assuming long periods of inactivity.

B.  The 3 14.4v model and its 2 siblings listed above have the same power / capability.  The only thing I'm getting by going up in Volts is runtime?

C.  If I opt for the 14.4 or 18v flavor, I can opt to buy LiIon packs and charger down the road if I choose to do so.

Do I have this right so far?

Guest Jopopsy

Notice the Footprint on the DCD920.

DeWalt_144VXRPLithiumIon_PTEN_0.png

DEWALT DC9144

This isn't very heavily advertised on the DeWalt site, you pretty much have to dig into the battery section to find it.  It doesn't look like there are any 14.4V tools that are being bundled with this (at least drills).  Is this product just too new?

This is all very great information.  So, let me see if I have all this correctly - pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

A.  The NiCd XRP battery packs, even though 'old' technology, will generally give me longevity and good performance so long as I remember to NOT drain them down to zero and put them on maintenance / trickle charge at least once a month assuming long periods of inactivity.

Correct, even though NiCd is old, in certain heavy draw applications I pick up a NiCd battery.

B.  The 3 14.4v model and its 2 siblings listed above have the same power / capability.  The only thing I'm getting by going up in Volts is runtime?

Your biggest sacrifice will be UWO, or Torque. You will not be able to complete certain heavy task's with a 14.4v or a 12v that you would with an 18v. Runtime will also vary per task. You will not be able to complete the same amount of 7/8" holes with a spade bit per drill. In second gear I've tested the DCD950 at 170 holes, DCD920 at 145 holes, and the DCD910 at 100 holes.

C.  If I opt for the 14.4 or 18v flavor, I can opt to buy LiIon packs and charger down the road if I choose to do so.

Do I have this right so far?

Yes, you can move across the board with any battery system. You will need the charger you mentioned above.

Notice the Footprint on the DCD920.

DeWalt_144VXRPLithiumIon_PTEN_0.png

DEWALT DC9144

This isn't very heavily advertised on the DeWalt site, you pretty much have to dig into the battery section to find it.  It doesn't look like there are any 14.4V tools that are being bundled with this (at least drills).  Is this product just too new?

Dewalt is just now getting around to adding 18v lithium kit's to it's lineup, so don't be surprised if you don't hear much in the 14v category for awhile. I'm sure Dewalt is working on a sub-compact line in the 10.8/12v line. The 14.4v category is the ugly red-headed stepchild category if you ask me. Cordless in my opinion should consist of a 12v, 18v, and 36v categories only. And maybe a super sub compact 4-7.2v range?

Guest Jopopsy

Its interesting that you call it the Red Headed Stepchild because I'm actually considering the 12V variety of this drill as well.  I currently have the Makita 6217DWDE - its pretty torqy for a 12V drill and VERY close in power to its 14.4V bigger brother.  I understand the 12V DeWalt version of this drill is even stronger.

I'm looking for a good drill/driver to do work around the house and build a shed next Spring.  I'm going to build another work bench, maybe some activity tables (2x contruction and ply tops or some other top variety).  Build deck box, maybe a clubhouse for my girls).

Maybe I should be looking at the 12V version after all is said and done?

All the projects you described are not real tough applications for a 18v drill. Why not just go with an 18v compact lithium drill? It's lighter weight, and higher torque. With  lithium you won't have to worry about all the battery maintenance, plus it's only a 30 minute charge. Cycle life will be slightly higher than the NiCd packaged with the DCD920. If price is not an issue, go for the two piece kit DCD265KL

g1.jpg

DCK265L_K1.jpg

Guest Jopopsy

The DCD920KX is a 14.4, and the DCD910KX is a 12V - they're not 18 volt drills unless I'm really messing something up right?  I knew I didn't need 18 volts, that's why I was looking at the step down 14.4 or even the 12 volt. 

What do you think?

BTW, I really appreciate your help with this - you know your stuff.

Guest Jopopsy

I need to keep my options to Amazon, Lowes, or HD  - that DCD760KL isn't on any of those.  Plus I'd rather not break 2 bills if I can help it.

I was thinking along your lines but w/ the 14.4 - a bit more than I need but room to grow.

Am I on the right track?  Would you go w/ the 12 or the 14.4 given my projects and work expectations?

Between the two, I'd go with the ugly stepchild. Who know's what Dewalt is planning on doing with the 12v line? If they follow the market, they will un-doubtingly ditch the current battery platform and come up with a 3 cell stick. WIth a current 14.4v lithium on the market, the 14.4v is a safe bet. If price point is your biggest concern, stick with the DCD920.

Lowes and Home Depot both carry the DCD760KL in stores. Home Depot has a trade in promotion going on right now. If you have a old cruddy drill, you could trade it in for 15% off any lithium ion drill in stock. that would make the DCD760KL go from $219 to $187, making it $12 cheaper.  Just a thought?

Guest Jopopsy

What am I gaining or losing between the DCD760KL and the DCD920KX?  It looks to me (layman) that the DCD920KX is built more stout (metal chuck). 

Also, if I need to put the Nicad XRP batts on a charger 1x a month when they haven't been used I'm okay w/ that.  I'm very good w/ maintenance when I understand what needs to be done.

Guest Jopopsy

Yes the DCD920 is a little more robust and durable. Looks like you've found a winner!

Fill this out and tell me what it brings you too? DRILL SELECTOR.

Weird:

DC930KA

DC936KA

DC935KA

DC730KA

I selected Drill/Fastening, standard chuck, and 14.4V.  Left all the other questions blank.

Guest Jopopsy

Between the two, I'd go with the ugly stepchild. Who know's what Dewalt is planning on doing with the 12v line? If they follow the market, they will un-doubtingly ditch the current battery platform and come up with a 3 cell stick. WIth a current 14.4v lithium on the market, the 14.4v is a safe bet. If price point is your biggest concern, stick with the DCD920.

Lowes and Home Depot both carry the DCD760KL in stores. Home Depot has a trade in promotion going on right now. If you have a old cruddy drill, you could trade it in for 15% off any lithium ion drill in stock. that would make the DCD760KL go from $219 to $187, making it $12 cheaper.  Just a thought?

You've really got me thinking about this option .... Even though the DCD920 is built more stout the DCD760 is probably plenty stout enough for what I would need it to do.  Choices choices choices.

Am I correct in saying that w/ the NiCad XRP battery, if it sits in the case for a string of months so long as I charge it  once a month (charge meaning have it sit on the charger a good 6 hours or so to go through the quick charge, maintenance charge, than into trickle) that I won't be degrading the battery any?  Also, when its time to use the tool plop both batteries in the charger for the same 6 hour span?

With the LiIOn it will discharge much slower then the Nicad, it has no memory effect, and I can charge it pretty much whenever I want?  I can't get the DeWalt manual for the DC760 so I can't read what it says in the battery/charging section.  Also, the DC760 doesn't have the XRP Lithium Ion - which means less recharge cycles (but plenty for my use and more then the XRP Nicad).

I'm down to these two, what one would you pick if you were me?  *At least I eliminated the 12V*  Maybe you're right and the DCD760 really makes the most sense for my applications.

Guest Jopopsy

Ugh.  Actually the DCD760KL is not on the list of qualifying SKUs for the Depot 15% trade up program.  So I'd have to talk to a manager if I really wanted to go this way:

Trade In Your Power Drill and Get 15% OFF When You Trade Up to Lithium-Ion

Valid 10/25/09 through 11/08/09 and redeemable for a 15% discount on any Lithium-ion Drill within The Home Depot Hardware Department with old Drill Trade-In. Qualifying SKUs include: 242618, Hilti Cordless Drill/Driver, 389571, Hilti SFH 18A Cordless Hammer Drill Driver, 459151, B&D 18V Compact Li-Ion Drill Driver Kit, 925596, B& D 18V Li-Ion Hammer Drill Driver, 607632, Makita LXT 18V Hammer Drill, 731738, Ryobi 18V Lithium Hammer Drill, 452413, Milwaukee M18 Cordless Hammerdrill, 876429, RIDGID 18V Auto Shift Drill Driver, 414111, Makita Li-Ion 18v Compact 1/2" Driver Drill, 836083, Milwaukee 18v Li-Ion Compact Drill, 906747, RIDGID 18V Lithium Compact Drill Driver, 743076, Ryobi 18v Li-Ion Compact Drill Kit, 933227, Makita LCT 18V Compact Impact Driver, 607658, Makita LXT 18V Impact Driver, 721788, RIDGID 12V 2 speed Drill w/ Light, 319849, Milwaukee M12 2 Speed Drill, 722674, Ryobi 12V Li-Ion Drill Kit, 876984, Ryobi 4V Li-Ion Screwdriver, 901721, Bosch 12v Max I Driver, 610719, Bosch 4V Max Li -Ion Screwdriver.

Guest Jopopsy

No your correct, I was just bringing 18v lithium compact into the conversation. I just thought that maybe you would enjoy the power and weight and less battery maintenance, and have room to grow into a larger cordless system if need be by going with a 18v.

I'm going to go w/ this.  Between the Lithium ION Phosphate tech in these compact batteries, the light weight, and the fact that I fasten more then I drill - this looks like a real winner for me.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.  I just listed my older Makita mForce 12V drill on Craigslist to help defray some cost here.  Appreciate all your help in this JC.  Next big purchase up for me?  Either the 12" or 10" miter saw from DeWalt !

Archived