Li-ion and Cold weather

ejeckert

Do Li-ion have a problem in the cold (below freezing)?  I have had issues with grabbing my drill out of my truck when it has been left out in the cold over night where it seems to have no juice on it even if it was fully charged?  Is this a Li-ion issue?  And do NiCd or NiMH have this same problem...I cant seem to remember this happening.  I have also heard this more from the Makita Guys...I believe they have had several issues with Batteries problems.  Something I believe dewalt doesnt with the DCD760K and other Li-Ion.  Not as long lasting (DeWalt Li-Ion) of a battery but not as many failures.  Goes back to the keep a NiCd/NiMH around!!!  That really makes the dewalt so great the interchangeable packs...whether Li-Ion or NiCd/NiMH.  Just goes to show that the battery can really make or break a tool!!!  Let me know what you think?

I think the sensitivity to temperature is something that all Li-Ion batteries have; though it's worse in some brands.  I know Milwaukee claims their batteries are good to -4 degrees, but I've also heard that their battery chemistry is very sensitive to high temperatures.  Either way it is something that's not brand-specific, and as you said leaves reason to keep the old batteries around.

Archived