DCD970 low speed grinding/locks up

Hink

Has anyone had an issue with the DCD970 grinding in 1st gear and locking up? I can reproduce the issue and am currently on my third replacement from Lowes. If I have the drill in 1st gear, hold the drill vertical with the chuck down, slowly as if you are removing a deck screw, pull the trigger and I get a grinding type noise which does not happen when holding the drill in a horizontal position. When holding the drill in the horizontal position, slowly pull the trigger and the chuck engaged very smooth. At times the drill will even lock up with the motor engaged but the chuck will not turn. The light comes on, the motor hums, but the chuck will hang. It does not appear to have anything to do with any other settings other than if the drill is in 1st gear. Took the drill to the Dewalt Service Center, the tech had the drill smoking. They have never seen this issue with this drill. They opened a case with Dewalt. I just want to know if anyone else has seen this issue and how it was resolved. How many times do I need to return this drill to Lowes?

Date stamp on drill is 2010  42-49. Unfortunately I do not have the date stamp from the previous 2 drills that I returned. Yesterday I went to Home Depot with a charged battery and test the display model. The drill worked flawlessly. How do I get one that works like that?

• 1 month later...

Archived