Questions from a newbie

aalupatti

My first post.

I am planning to buy some tools for home use. I have some questions

1. Are the drill bits intercompatible between various makers like Dewalt, Black and decker and so on.

2. I am planning to get this drill bit set. Is that sufficient enough for a normal home user. ( I live in an apartment and do very basic stuff) . http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110663252225&hlp=false

3. Is there any other better kit of drill bits. I am not in a position to spend huge amts of money

4. Can an impact driver be used also as a screw driver .

this is the one i am looking at http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-DEWALT-DC825B-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002RT7K4Q/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1307035593&sr=1-2

5. This does not have a battery . will it come with a power cord

Thanks.

My first post.

I am planning to buy some tools for home use. I have some questions

Thank you for posting!

1. Are the drill bits intercompatible between various makers like Dewalt, Black and decker and so on.

Yes all drill bit's are interchangeable across brands. Some bit's can be larger and will require a larger sized chuck. Typical home-owner brands offer 3/8" chucks, and some offer 1/2" chucks. All professional 18v brands offer a 1/2" chuck.

2. I am planning to get this drill bit set. Is that sufficient enough for a normal home user. ( I live in an apartment and do very basic stuff) . http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110663252225&hlp=false

This kit would be sufficient for 90% of tasks around the home. The bit's however only go as high as 1/2" so any larger sized holes would require you to purchase larger sized bit's individually.

3. Is there any other better kit of drill bits. I am not in a position to spend huge amts of money

You've done a good job hunting around. This would be a good kit to start out with, then as your needs grow your bit's can grow with it. It looks like there is extra room inside the case to store other bits. Other's on this site may disagree and offer you some additional choices based on their opinion, and experience.

Yes, you can use the impact as a drill. It's not alway's the best option, but it will get the job done.

5. This does not have a battery . will it come with a power cord

This is considered a "bare" tool. It was designed to lower the cost of a replacement/addition for someone who has invested in combo kit, or a single tool kit. The DC825B will come with no batteries, charger. It is considered a cordless tool, and cannot be used with a cord.

Are you referring to this forum? I don't think most of our new members get beat up, unless that new member starts talking smack about yellow, then the gloves are off! ;D

It depends entirely on your personal needs. That's a decision you will have to make on your own. Here are some of my thoughts.

Corded Pros;

Limitless runtime

Typically cheaper

Lighter Weight

Depending on what you buy, corded can have more Power/Torque.

Corded Cons;

Not Portable

Most professional drills lack a clutch

Cordless Pro's

Portable

Has a Clutch

Has 2-3 gear settings

Cordless Con's

Costly

Upkeep costs when batteries wear out

Downtime associated with charging

Limited Runtime