18v Hand Planer.

benwai18

Reading a reply to a previous post a Dewalt employee referred to the idea of a cordless hand planer not having the power for the job. In a bulky and heavy 36v design this may be the case as you would associate this to 1st fix. But scale this down to an 18v version to be used for lightweight applications and surely you would have a winner.

It all depends on the application , surely.

As a kitchen/cabinet  installer the use for a lightweight 18v hand planer to scribe wall fillers and kick boards would be worth its weight.

Makita have the BKP180Z LXT and it looks a cracker i hate to say.

Come on Dewalt, catch up! 

Reading a reply to a previous post a Dewalt employee referred to the idea of a cordless hand planer not having the power for the job. In a bulky and heavy 36v design this may be the case as you would associate this to 1st fix. But scale this down to an 18v version to be used for lightweight applications and surely you would have a winner.

It all depends on the application , surely.

As a kitchen/cabinet  installer the use for a lightweight 18v hand planer to scribe wall fillers and kick boards would be worth its weight.

Makita have the BKP180Z LXT and it looks a cracker i hate to say.

Come on Dewalt, catch up!   

I'll take mine in 36v..... I do allot of remodels, and trimming boards to to go in place happens. I need something that can cut 3 1/2" wide in a single pass and really remove material. The Makita looks nice but I am sure it would not be up to the challenge. Circular rotating cutting tools need the additional torque and speed associated with higher voltage.

Oh yeah the Makita is available over seas, I havn't seen one state side.

My mate is  just about to order one (makita) from the UK as they are not available here in Australia either, will let you know the verdict.

I know where your coming from Burlguy, but  a 2mm x 87mm cut in timber surely would not go very far in 36v i can smell your batteries from here.

Skimming 1mm cuts on 18mm timber would be a breeze.

Its all down to correct application of the tool and Dewalt seeing there is a market for the tool, all be it a smaller one than they would like ($$$$$$).

I will have a go with my mates and will most likely end up buying some Blue Poo as we call them. To be honest the design of all the Dewalt corded planers are heavy and bulky and all the installers i know myself included use makita as they are lightweight and versatile.

I would not buy anything but Dewalt but it looks as if that is going to change when it comes to a cordless planer. 

My mate is  just about to order one (makita) from the UK as they are not available here in Australia either, will let you know the verdict.

I know where your coming from Burlguy, but  a 2mm x 87mm cut in timber surely would not go very far in 36v i can smell your batteries from here.

Skimming 1mm cuts on 18mm timber would be a breeze.

Its all down to correct application of the tool and Dewalt seeing there is a market for the tool, all be it a smaller one than they would like ($$$$$$).

I will have a go with my mates and will most likely end up buying some Blue Poo as we call them. To be honest the design of all the Dewalt corded planers are heavy and bulky and all the installers i know myself included use makita as they are lightweight and versatile.

I would not buy anything but Dewalt but it looks as if that is going to change when it comes to a cordless planer. 

I bring my "blue poo" planer to every job :D

Archived