DC970 chuck problems

95tigeralum

I got a DC970 for Christmas last year, an upgrade from my 14.4V I used to have.  First time I used it to drive in a screw, the chuck kept slipping.  I took it back to Lowes and got a replacement.  Last night, I was using it for the first time and it is doing the same thing.  The chuck is also slipping when it is drilling into sheetrock, so I can only imagine how poorly a job it would do in metal!  I am planning on taking it back tonight for a different drill altogether.  My shop is full of Dewalt tools and this is the 3rd Dewalt drill I have owned.  I never had problems out of any of the previous ones.  I hate to say it, but I am thinking of buying a Bosch drill instead now.

Sorry to hear about that!  The Rohm chuck is the best chuck in the industry, so I would say to try and make it work.  If you are near a service center, go there. Have them look at your chuck and see if it is actually broken, or if you are possibly just using it wrong. Either way, if the chuck is broken, they can replace it and test it.