It's not everyday I stumble across a tool that I can't live without........Ok, we all know that shit ain't the truth. Anyhow, a couple months back I stumbled across what I felt was the most badass Tap & Die set I'd ever seen, the Mac TD117COMBOS. It's a revised version of the older 117 piece set and came out last summer.

I stumbled across it on a YouTube video and after a little research I was heartbroken to find it listed @ $459 :( I searched for other alternatives and found a Norseman HSS set. It was Standard only, 40 pieces altogether, but it was $400, so to get the same functionality in the Norseman's I was looking at $800....yikes.

The Mac set wasn't HSS, it is "High Performance Steel" which is a fancy name for carbon. Norseman had 40 piece carbon sets for around $100 each, so I could go that route for around $200.

The real bonus with the Mac set was that it came with a nice 36 piece drill bit set that included both letter and number bits (neither of which I had). It also came with a 5 piece extractor set (have a plethora of those).

I decided to keep my eyes open on eBay for either option, but my heart was set on the Mac set.

After patient searching a used Mac set popped up for $269. Seller said he'd used it twice and looked to be immaculate in the pics. I pulled the trigger and it arrived today.

post-515-0-09442300-1394002692_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-34334600-1394002734_thumb.jpg

As you can see, everything folds up nicely in the case and sizes are marked on both the tool and case to help keep everything in order.

post-515-0-86648300-1394002769_thumb.jpg

The included bit set has every bit you need to tap any hole covered by the set. It's very handy that it's entirely self contained.

post-515-0-36349200-1394002801_thumb.jpg

I can't tell it's ever been used. This might be the most immaculate used item I've ever bought. The Tekton set I was using has been a good set, can't beat it for the money. I plan to put that on the race trailer and keep the Mac set in the shop. I'd have never paid $450 for it, but at $269 in this condition I can't beat it.