Multipurpose Drill Bit Set

TylerDama

Hey there, just fishing for some information on drill bit sets. I am an electrician (apprentice) so most common applications I can think of would be drilling through aluminum brackets, EMT conduit, and maybe some PVC. the two sets I was most considering were the "Milwaukee Thunderbolt Black Oxide Drill Bit Set (21-Piece)" and "DEWALT Titanium Drill Bit Set (21-Piece)". I am open to other options and your thoughts. Thank you,Tyler

You can use them for wood but like DR said they shine on harder metals. They work great for thick metal too. I have the 29 piece dewalt set and they are extremely quick as well. The only problem is they will be a pain to sharpen with the pilot point tip. They should be fine for your use.

• Like 1

Hey Electrical Apprentice here too!  I really think the only drill bit you need is a 1/4" drill bit to use for pilot holes for hole saws and j-boxes that don't have holes pre-drilled for screws.  I would invest in a good holes saw kit, I have a lenox hole saw kit and they really hold up and stay sharp  

• Like 1

The DeWalt set worked fine for me and I usualy drill through all kinds of different things.... never had a probilem with wear, just loosing bits...lol I know, I know, they have a case but there is somthing about drill bits that they end up dissapearing...lol

• Like 1

For general purpose drilling the Thunderbolts or the tin coated Dewalt's will do fine.

I use the thunderbts. $20 bucks for the set and after a couple years I toss them and replace.

I do like the Dewalt pilot points, but they don't hold up worth a damn in steel.

Just find some decent high speed steel drills and you will have good luck witht he materials you wanna drill  :)

Precision twist drill,rocky mountain twist drills just a couple examples you can research.

Not sure i would even want to use a drill from a big box type store,but working in machine shops has made drill access easy for me.

Lenox holesaws are very nice,cant say enough good things about mine.

For general purpose drilling the Thunderbolts or the tin coated Dewalt's will do fine.

I use the thunderbts. $20 bucks for the set and after a couple years I toss them and replace.

I do like the Dewalt pilot points, but they don't hold up worth a damn in steel.

Just picked up a set of DeWalt titanium bits and they went through about 3/16 steel fine... I was impressed with them...

I was using my dcd780 and I didn't like how hot it got...other than that fine...