Milwaukee Compact Drill update?

dwain

Despite not owning any, I'm a big fan of the Milwaukee 18V line.

As ace as their line-up is (particularly FUEL), to me, the most important tool in the whole line-up is the compact drill. Most of the time many of us don't need the power/weight/size of the premium hammer drills. And unless the US has something Aus doesn't, the compact drill is a let down.

I'm sure its got plenty of power, and the metal chuck is nice, but its still heavy! And the FUEL hammer drill is shorter (to its credit)! Comparing the Dewalt and Bosch compact drills, the Milwaukee is just not compact.

Does anyone agree? Is there any whispers of an update?

Be nice for a fuel version that was more conpact... What i think milwaukee banked on was that the m12 fuel was its compact drill... The m18 compact that was recently released i think is a afterthought from the success of the Dewalt..and i bet they will release a fuel version b4 the year is up.

Are you referring to the original m18 compact drill? I got a chance to check it out and it wasn't heavy. But yeah they did update the entire brushed impact and drill line. They have the 2606-22ct and it's very short in length 7-1/4 and the most powerful compact drill on paper with 500 in-lbs torque. I'm not sure how heavy it is but I think it's around 3 and a half pounds. Which is average all the compact drills I've seen are around 3 and a half pounds

Check it out

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2606-22ct

Are you referring to the original m18 compact drill? I got a chance to check it out and it wasn't heavy.

i was in a tool shop the other day holding and twisting several drills, including the original M18 compact. it felt much more alike to the M18 FUEL than to the Dewalt or Bosch compacts.

Glad the newer version is short and lighter! I'd like to see a comparison of the Dewalt, Bosch and Milwaukee compact drills!

Dwain now you got me curious, whats the model # of the m18 drill your talking about? The original brushed compact here is shorter than the fuel. I think it's closer to 4 lbs don't remember if it's 3.8-4.0 lbs. If the one you're talking about is longer than the fuel maybe its a heavy duty model

here in Aus we have different model numbers, but i think it was this one (i was holding them without batts). http://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/products/m18/show/c18pd

maybe it was the handling (handle, weight distribution etc), but it just felt more like the big drills than a compact.

The original m18 compact is the 2601-22 it's 7.75 inches in length on paper.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2601-22

The fuel drill non hammer is 7.9 inches in length

Several of the guys I work with have that and it hasn't exactly stood the test of time. I have the fuel drill/driver and brushes aside, they are on completely different levels.