Bench Vise

Coppertone

Good Morning fellas,

I'm looking to get a bench vise for my new shed and have found many conflicting reviews/recommendations.

I think I'm set on a 5" standard bench vise from a brand like Bessey from Lowe's.  I'm not looking to spend a whole lot.

Any recommendations or reviews?

Thanks guys!, I'm not on a tight budget, I just don't have the need for a super high quality piece.

Dan, that vice looks like it fits the bill nicely.  

I was considering the Bessey 5.5" from lowes because it has the feature where the whole head rotates around.  I haven't used a vise with that feature but was thinking it would be nice to have.

Your thoughts?

• 2 years later...
On May 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Mr. Yellow said:

I dunno if they sell Brockhaus Heuer in the US. Those are quality vices from Germany and they have some nice attachments as well.

Looking at building a work bench out in my little shop and I've been looking for a quality bench vise that isn't made in china. These are super nice, thanks for introducing them

• Like 2

There are many good vises, but two good ones i have experience with and can recommend is:

Ridgid/peddinghaus Superior, outstanding german quality that will last for generations.

Also comes in two cheaper and a little simpler versions:Matador and Junior.

Also the Brockhaus Heuer as mentioned longer up in the thread here is a beautiful piece of tool. Machined vise and toughened jaws. Will last forever. 

I like an anvil on my vise, so therefore i like the Ridgid/Peddinghaus best for my use (and which i have in my shop :) )

Have also destroyed 2-3 cheap chinese vises over the years, stay away from thoose :)