ELECTRIC SHOCK, HELP!

foredom

I am operating a foredom brand motor kit similar to a dentist drill. 1/6 HP, 18,000 Rpm and is operated via a foot pedal. It has a metal handpiece that takes many accessories for carving a variety of materials. It has been working well for the past two months, but now when i press the foot pedal in order to operate it i get an electric shock!

I have checked the motor brushes and they are still fine.

Any ideas of what is going on and how to repair would be most helpful.

thanks!

I would check the ground wire or any of the other wires. Something has to be touching the cassing to cause a shock. I had an old metal drill, yes it was very old. I had the same problem and it turned out one of the wires were loose and hit the side of the case.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are only getting a shock at the handpiece when you hit the foot pedal, the problem is in the hot lead (usually black) on the foot pedal or in the handpiece. I would suspect the handpiece. Pull the brushes out, take the back cap where the wire goes in and see if any wire is touching the housing. Tape it up. OR maybe one of the brush leads from the field coil is touching the housing. In any case you have a hot lead touching the housing or touching the ground lead. If its a fairly new one, there isn't a ground lead but the older ones do have them. Let me know what happens. Don't be afraid to take it apart. It doesn't work right now! Make drawings and sketches of disassembly proceedure.