any Jeepers?

mike_dave

Hey guys,

Im researching vehicles for my next purchase (which is hopefully in the more distant future- but not too far at the same time) I'm currently waiting for my current little truck to die, but it just keeps going! haha, gotta love chevs.

Anyway, I am not a big car guy. Ideally I would like to get a truck, but they're pretty pricey, and I'm not sure I can justify the cost for the amount I would actually be using it as a truck. I do love the ability to haul sheets of plywood, and lengths of lumber but I really don't do it very often, so I'm kinda leaning towards a jeep wrangler.. any thoughts?

Any owners/ previous owners that can give me their input? I think I'm the right type of person for a jeep, but I am not 100% sure a jeep is right for me. I suppose the only real requirement I have is I can fit my small set of tools for work- which will be easy.. and it HAS to fit my goalie equipment..

Im looking at 2010 plus.. just a 2 door model. preferably with A/C. my trucks A/C is broken and summers a nightmare, and now the power window switch is screwed up!

Sorry for the lengthy post. looking forward to the input!

Cheers

I love the jeeps man I don't own one personally but we've had a couple come in at the shop and I have had the chance to drive them and they're sweet now I don't know if I would pick one up over a truck though, I have a chevy and can't even think about the day I don't have one, a jeep for me would be a secondary vehicle. The new Chevys and GMC are also nice man.

I love Jeeps,  I have had a cj and 4 Wranglers.   First off they a total piles of crap.  Tons of stuff goes wrong as they are a Chrysler product.  Get a hardtop otherwise your tools are gone.  The soft ltop asts about 4 years before the windows start yellowing.  They are bumpy and don't hold a lot.  They rust around the windshield and usually leak.  Bad MPG, goalie equipment will probably fit but in the back seat.

Now the good stuff,  they are fun, tons of accessories, The jeep wave " Its a Jeep Thing", 4x4 in winter and convertible in summer.  I would get another but only as a second weekend driver.

Jeeps are cool, but be prepared to spend a lot of time in the shop.  Their reliability isn't there in that department.  BUT like i said, they are freakin cool.  I just would never own one as a primary vehicle.  

If the cost of a new full size is swaying you from staying in a truck, check out the new chevy colorado or its brother gmc canyon.  You can grab one of these mid sized trucks for a decent price probably comparable to a wrangler. And that keeps your ability to haul plywood and such when need be.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

Junk

Each and

Every

Part

I love my Jeep, but I would not have one for a daily driver again.... Rough ride, can't secure anything, horrible mileage, breaking stuff constantly.

That being said, I'm always on the lookout for a TJ Unlimited, or a CJ8, or a CJ6, or an FC (though I doubt I could fit in an FC) or a flat fender (also doubtful i could fit in) to restore....

just an over priced American Icon that AMC and then Chrysler played on....save your self some grief and get yourself a real vehicle ......

it is a fun ride if you want to grab your surf boards and head to the beach 4-5 times a summer........

Well that's all I needed... truck it is! Lol.

Jeeps are damn cool. Perhaps one day I'll have one as a secondary vehicle.. But when I can afford a second vehicle I think something with more horsepower would be in order..

I've seen the new colorados and canyons. Nice trucks for sure! That's all I really need and more, however in Canada You can get a better deal on a new full size gm.. Having said that I'm not in the position to buy brand new. I could get a jeep wrangler sport for about 23000. I was peaking at colorados and to get only the options I consider a necessity I'd be looking at near 40k. At 20 years old that's too steep for me.

The Toyota tacoma is a great truck, I have a neighbour and a friend who own one and they love their trucks. My only gripe is Toyota is a Japanese company. Not saying they don't make a solid vehicle, but I like to buy things domestic where I can. We do have a Toyota plant I. My home town and were very fortunate for all the jobs... But I am still not sold. Plus parts for maintenance seem to be pricier for an Import which isn't so nice.

I think a truck really is the best vehicle for me but the whole 4x4 in the winter and convertible in the summer is very tempting haha.

Thanks for everyones input!

The Toyota tacoma is a great truck, I have a neighbour and a friend who own one and they love their trucks. My only gripe is Toyota is a Japanese company. Not saying they don't make a solid vehicle, but I like to buy things domestic where I can. We do have a Toyota plant I. My home town and were very fortunate for all the jobs... But I am still not sold. Plus parts for maintenance seem to be pricier for an Import which isn't so nice.

actually the Toyota trucks have had their asses put through the ringer from tests and such and have come out not to shabby....also, I don't think any company is kept domestic any more.....

You guys in Canada get hosed on pricing :( GM was giving away Silverado leases a few months ago the payments were around 200/250 a month. I would say to look at leasing or buying used unless you can shop an amazing deal buying new seems to be the more expensive option. I know some people hate the idea of leasing it hasn't been bad for me though

To me buying a new vehicle is stupid. The value will drop around 10-15k in the first couple of years. As far as jeeps go I don't care for them. Like everyone has said they aren't very reliable and the mileage sucks. I would look at the 99-07 4wd silverado trucks. My grandpa has a 2004 and it has been incredibly reliable and will get up and go. His has the 5.3 vortec. I don't know much about the body style from 2008 on up though.

I had an 08 silverado lease I had a door handle act up and they had a minor recall it was about padding around the bcm they were afraid of moisture. The truck was pretty solid other than those minor things. I have heard issues about that body style your talking about Nick needing new brake lines some reason GM used some crappy steel that didn't hold up in rusty states.

I had an 08 silverado lease I had a door handle act up and they had a minor recall it was about padding around the bcm they were afraid of moisture. The truck was pretty solid other than those minor things. I have heard issues about that body style your talking about Nick needing new brake lines some reason GM used some crappy steel that didn't hold up in rusty states.

The only reason I brought it up is it is a really expensive repair depending on where you take it some dealers were charging close to 4000 dollars

I currently drive an 02 s10 4x4. been one hell of a truck and hasn't left me stranded yet *knock on wood* but its getting old and the mileage is fairly high too.

I don't intended to buy brand new. I can see its advantages but I wont be in the position to go that route any time soon. As far as leasing, I don't see that being the ideal way for me to go either.

I have lots of time to research and decide. I test drove an 07 Sierra Z71. great truck, with low miles. much more features than I could ever want and need. the finances didn't quite add up so I walked away from it.

I now know staying away from a jeep would be ideal for me. I don't want to drive an unreliable piece of crap again haha

One kid at my school drives an 04 wrangler and one day when he wasn't around we took his soft top down. It was around 40 that day. He was pissed but his reaction was priceless.

No offense, but if that would have been my Jeep, I would have kicked your butt. Don't screw with my rig, don't mess with my woman.

I'm a huge Ford guy, but none of the little 'domestic' trucks have ever done it for me. If I was looking for a compact truck, my first choice would be Toyota, with Nissan a very distant second.

Same, ive never personally liked any of the compact trucks.  There just aren't enough pro's and too many cons. Gas mileage isn't much better at all, cant haul as much, too cramped for me (6'2'').  I guess the only thing they really have going for them is theyre easier to park and a tiny bit cheaper purchase price.  I couldn't imagine not being in a full size. I have the Harley f150 and freaking love it.  Full time awd and still average 14-15 mostly city driving.  Trucks hold their resale value really really well also.