Plastic Bucket Repair Ideas???

redmed

OK guys, I have a bucket that is exactly what I want except I have had two and the bucket keeps cracking (at the red arrow). The first bucket cracked the first time I used it. I was careful with the second bucket and it cracked the third time I used it. Obviously the handle is way too weak and needs to be strengthened.

post-49773-0-67453200-1432946761_thumb.j
I now have a another one of these buckets and planned to fill in the underside of the handle to strengthen it. I originally planned to fill the underside with silicon or liquid nail stuff. Now I read that it is hard to get something to adhere to Polypropylene. So far I have only found two glues for Polypropylene 3M Scotch-Weld DP8005 and Loctite Plastics Bonding system. Both are glues and would be to expensive to fill the underside of the rim. Any ideas?

I used to have a plastic tub with a similar rolled rim that kept cracking.  I solved my problem by strengthening the rim with 1/8" steel attached to the underside of the rolled rim with FiberFix tape.  I'm not sure how you'd get the steel curved to match the rim of your bucket, but it might be an interesting weekend project to figure it out or you could adapt the concept - reenforce with metal instead of just filling with epoxy.