Power Screwdriver for small tasks

DiverDn

I would like some recommendations on a power screwdriver to use around the house. 

I don't care what battery platform it is as long as it is easy for my wife to drive screws to hang pictures, put together furniture  and general house hold chores.

I was looking at a Dewalt but the one I had spied on clearance is gone. So the field is wide open.

Thanks,

John

I like my Milwaukee M12 Fuel screwdriver. Not sure if you are wanting something smaller but the M12 fuel is an awesome screwdriver.

As much as I agree with this sentiment, and I do love my M12 Fuel screwdriver, it really probably is overkill for this situation.  Hanging pictures and screwing together the odd piece of furniture is probably not worth the $200 investment unless you've already bought into the M12 line and have batteries and chargers or want an excuse to!  I'm probably not the best person to talk as I bought an M12 drill on sale to use with a drillbrush to scrub out my shower, but that's just me.

I have tried the Dewalt gyroscopic screwdriver.  I could never get used to the magic switch that turned on when I twisted it one way or the other.  I guess I'm just old fashioned and want a trigger to pull or a button to press.  I've played with the Ryobi screwdriver that DR linked above and it seems quite nice.  LiOn batteries mean it won't drain if it sits in a drawer for months on end and for $30, it's not a huge investment.  Best of all, for me at least, it has a trigger!

I would mainly recommend the ryobi tek4, as dr99 said.

My aunt was looking for a small power screwdriver. I offered her my old m12 drill cause I moved up the fuel line of m12. I showed it to her an she wasn't impressed because its was to bulky for her liking. She ended up getting the ryobi tek4 an the utility light an is very pleased. I don't know how much she uses it but she loves it.

In comparison to my m12 fuel the ryobi tek4 is a child's toy but for very light duty around the home stuff it does the task. It's also much cheaper an easier to handle. If my needs were occasionally putting together a basic bookshelf or hanging a picture I would buy it.

• Like 1

I will take a look at the Ryobi. 

I'm afraid that if I spent the money on the M12 she would never get to use it because it would be in my truck or tool box. :)

Plus it most likely is overkill.

The Dewalt gryo was the one that was on clearance, but someone got to it before.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will update when we get something and find out how it works.

John

Point of sale display got me.

I was at HD and had the Roybi in the cart. Then I saw a Milwaukee m12 drill and impact driver combo with charger and two batteries for $100.

Put the Roybi back on the shelf and got the Milwaukee.

The wife's happy with the size of the drill and I get to play with the impact and m12 system. Everything else I have is dewalt.

Like selling crack. They know how to get you hooked.

• Like 1

I was at HD and had the Roybi in the cart. Then I saw a Milwaukee m12 drill and impact driver combo with charger and two batteries for $100.

The wife's happy with the size of the drill and I get to play with the impact and m12 system. Everything else I have is dewalt.

LOL!

I like my Milwaukee M12 Fuel screwdriver. Not sure if you are wanting something smaller but the M12 fuel is an awesome screwdriver.

yes since my wife tried mine I haven't seen it since.......that little thing gives out one hell of a punch...I'm  talking the screw driver not my wife for trying to get it back....lol

I had a friend shoot me a pic of that set from HD yesterday.  I told him it was definitely worth the price.  I have a feeling the impact driver will be a hit with him in the garage and the screwdriver would be a hit with him and his wife.  

I then told him it likely wasn't the last m12 tool he would buy.  

Which made me think of the PSA in my youth where an older kid was telling a younger kid how to sell drugs.  Start by giving drugs away for free.  When they come back, that is when you charge them.  M12, I'm on to you.  I'm also hooked, but I'm on to you

m12 line I awesome now just wait till u try the fuels!! OH BABY THEY ARE SWEEET!!