Makita XWT02Z VS XWT04

Dan2425

Looking for a new Impact wrench and im wonder which one will hold up betting in an automotive environment. I really like the Brushless compact one (XWT02) as its small but i would like to hear some opinions if that torque and brushless motor live up to all of the hype. my questions are will it take off tires, will it take off suspensions bolts or break free axles nuts on cars or trucks, and will it hold up to getting staind with other and other gunk.

I'm in the makita line 5 tools now so i would like to buy another makita if i can. This is for working on cars when im not at the shop and have to work on my truck or a friends vehicle.

Links to tools: 

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT02Z-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless/dp/B00MZ0MN0S/ref=pd_sim_469_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZY257QYHKKNN69W77A6&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT04Z-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery/dp/B00K194N1C/ref=pd_sim_469_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=00PVKZR7FFZM5VSKAVDH&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

I have the XWT02Z, and is very happy with it.

Have tested the XWT04Z, and did not like it at all. Heavy, not THAT powerfull, no breaking (takes seconds to stop), and quite outdated. Did not feel very good balanced either. If you need that much power, I would wait for a newer, more modern version if you need more power than the XWT02Z can deliver. 

But if the 02Z is powerfull enough, it really is great, if not the best compact Impact wrench there is. Good balance, full controll (breaks almost instantly), light weight, and just feels nice. I have not tried it on cars, and have only used it on some industrial eqipment (stainless) and some rusted bolts for the tire on a scooter. No problems what so ever there, but it's not as heavy as cars.

But beliving the specs, I would belive it might take on most bolts and nuts on cars, even tough it would use some time taking of the big ones.  

Makita makes one of the most powerful impacts right now the td14 i forget the whole modle number but its made in japan and beats out the new fuel gen 2 you can order one from atlas machinery other then that you would havw to order from a guy in japan on ebay 30f829e9c533494659dd8a0e07715750.jpg they come in green black the regular blue and gold they are compact and powerful

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Makita makes one of the most powerful impacts right now the td14 i forget the whole modle number but its made in japan and beats out the new fuel gen 2 you can order one from atlas machinery other then that you would havw to order from a guy in japan on ebay they come in green black the regular blue and gold they are compact and powerful

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You are thinking of the TD148, makitas powerfull 1/4 hex inch impact driver Probably.

Not that different, but it is less powerfull (tourque wice) than their own DTW281Z (XWT02 in USA) 1/2 inch square impact wrench, that have almost twice the tourqe, and the practicall 1/2" square. 

You can get into most awkward places with it. Since it's so compact, and you don't need any adapters like impact drivers. Which is partly why I would recommend a impact wrench instead of a impact driver for automobile use. But also, their focus on higher tourqe is important to, off course. 

I'm moving towards the XWT02 i think. I Thought this was makitas 2nd attempt at the automotive market correct me if im wrong but was this to replace model XWT05Z with more torque, brushless, and have a lighter and more compact look?

I actually have an impact driver at the moment. Well 2 Models XDT04 and XDT08Z (hate 08, as its brushless but can barely keep up if not match my brushed motor model)

And for the guy who suggested the TD148... i just might buy one as i can pick the color i want LOL! 1550 In. pounds also!!!!!! Silly XDT08Z only does 1420 in. pounds

I have the XWT02Z, and is very happy with it.

Have tested the XWT04Z, and did not like it at all. Heavy, not THAT powerfull, no breaking (takes seconds to stop), and quite outdated. Did not feel very good balanced either. If you need that much power, I would wait for a newer, more modern version if you need more power than the XWT02Z can deliver. 

But if the 02Z is powerfull enough, it really is great, if not the best compact Impact wrench there is. Good balance, full controll (breaks almost instantly), light weight, and just feels nice. I have not tried it on cars, and have only used it on some industrial eqipment (stainless) and some rusted bolts for the tire on a scooter. No problems what so ever there, but it's not as heavy as cars.

But beliving the specs, I would belive it might take on most bolts and nuts on cars, even tough it would use some time taking of the big ones.  

with the XWT02Z here in america it seems its here to stay. Apparently it sells really well in the box stores around here (who would buy that Sherman tank over the Milwaukee fuel or ingersoll rand (basically M1 Abrams) is beyond me.... if i want something that heavy i want 1,100 pounds of nut busting torque. But hey maybe if we whine enough we will get an updated version :) 

I think Makita gave up on guys like me who work in a shop. Snap-On and Milwaukee have it locked down in the cordless market. 

The compact brushless impact is one of the best, if not the best impact in its class.

The large one sucks and is outdated. Seeing how many tools they pumped out last yezr its only a given that within months they will announce a big impact that most likely rivals or improves on offering by dewalt/ Milwaukee.

But the current 'big' model sucks :D

I have the M18 Fuel version of the compact model listed above. It zips the lugs off of my Expedition without drama. I don't know if it would work as easily on a heavier duty vehicle, such as an F250, though I suspect it would. Slight disclaimer: I'm a little neurtic about brake dust on the back of my wheels, so they (at least the fronts) get pulled even more often then the normal 5k rotation interval and the threads don't get reinstalled dry...

• 1 month later...