Makita Battery Problems

Marcv76

So I'm thinking of selling all my different tool platforms and going exclusively with Makita so that I only have 1 type of battery. I have heard and read about the problems with the batteries and how once the chip thinks it a faulty battery it will never try to charge it. Is this still a problem with the newest 4ah and 5ah batteries and newer star tools? I came across a website from a company that recells your old tool batteries and they determined that the Makita design was faulty and they no longer re-cell them, which worries me. They said that the chip inside the battery pulls a tiny bit of energy from the first 2 cells constantly, and if the battery was left for weeks the chip would deep drain the 2 cells causing the charger to think it is faulty. Did they fix this? I assume this can be alleviated by always putting the batteries back on a multi port charger however its something i've never had to worry about with other Manufacturers. 

And the problemen was more: if the user completly drained a lithium battery ( user mistake number 1 ) and then puts the empty battery away without charging it ( user mistake number 2 ) and leaves it layibg empty for weeks and weeks ( user mistake number 3 ) then indeed you would kill a lithium battery.

One more question for you. Is there an estimated USA release date for the 18v battery packs with the fuel gauge on them. If I'm starting form scratch I would prefer to wait for those before I start purchasing. 

No idea there :) best tot send an email tot Makita USA and inquire there when they will be available.

The first tools with come with these batteries standard are already on their website but itll take months if not a year before all current tools will be delivered with the new batteries of course