Bosch AG40-85 4 1/2 Angle Grinder

Santi_78342

Do people usually go for 4-1/2" grinders in the US? Our electric grinders are 4" or 5", and I always recommend the 5" for that extra bit of cut depth, without increasing the size of the unit (like a 7")

Yeah, they're pretty popular here in the US. Is it safe to use 4 1/2" wheels, blades, etc in a 5" grinder? 4 1/2" stuff is way more readily available than 5".

As long as the arbor/spindle is the same size (it looks like they are), absolutely! After some cuts a 5" disc is only 4-1/2" in diameter anyway :)

But if the 5" is more expensive, and your always going to be buying 4-1/2" discs anyway, not much point.

• 2 months later...

Do people usually go for 4-1/2" grinders in the US? Our electric grinders are 4" or 5", and I always recommend the 5" for that extra bit of cut depth, without increasing the size of the unit (like a 7")

I would guess 4.5" grinders and accessories outsell 4" and 5" combined by 5:1, maybe more.

I'm curious about the grinder as well. I bought one of the 1380 Slims and it's almost soured me from Bosch. I like my DeWalt grinder MUCH more than I like the Slim, and if you know how I feel about DeWalt, that speaks volumes....

I would guess 4.5" grinders and accessories outsell 4" and 5" combined by 5:1, maybe more.

I'm curious about the grinder as well. I bought one of the 1380 Slims and it's almost soured me from Bosch. I like my DeWalt grinder MUCH more than I like the Slim, and if you know how I feel about DeWalt, that speaks volumes....

wow. 

what don't you like about the Bosch slim? It's not super powerful, but it does me for a lot of tasks, and is WAY more comfortable than a larger, heavier grinder. I'm all about the comfort, and my hands aren't particularly big. Also, at least in Australia, it is VERY cheap.

Well, it's noisy, feels kinda junky, and doesn't have much power. I'll admit that it is pretty light in the hand, but I'm an oversized brute and like the ergos of my 5" Fein much better.

I'm sure most would. But it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison! The FEIN is probably 4 times the price...

I'm sure most would. But it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison! The FEIN is probably 4 times the price...

Well, yeah, kinda. I got a screaming deal on the Fein, so the Bosch was about 60% of the cost of the Fein. I understand that the 1380 is Bosch's economy model, and I suppose it fills it's role adequately, but for me personally, I should be looking a little more upmarket. What the heck, that's why they sell Metabo and Fein, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dwain. Do Bosch, Fein or Metabo offer 4" angle grinders in Oz? Pretty much all I've found here is the Makita (which I have and really like).

Thanks, man!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dwain. Do Bosch, Fein or Metabo offer 4" angle grinders in Oz? Pretty much all I've found here is the Makita (which I have and really like).

Thanks, man!

All those brands do, with the exception of FEIN, 4-1/2" is their smallest. We also have Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita and many DIY brands who offer 4" grinders.

• 3 weeks later...

why not a 4-1/2"? They seem to be easily available in the US and cheap too!

I'd love to get hold of this! a powerful 6" grinder without the bulk of the 7/9" grinder bodies...

http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-WE15-150-Grinder-Electronics-Sliding/dp/B00WJOXK84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454278027&sr=8-1&keywords=metabo+grinder+6+inch

Yeah, one of those, too. I bought a bunch of 4" wheels when a semi-local tool joint closed, and that would be way too easy to just use them on one (of my three!) 4.5" grinders. But the real reason is I always want something I can't have. Hello Bosch 12v brushless impact driver, Milwaukee Fuel M12 1/2" impact wrench, Hazet hand tools....