TV Suggestions Needed

WigWagWorkshop

that may have been true a few generations back, like when Plasma first came out but the newer LCD/LED panels with 240hz have better picture quality now. A big problem with Plasma is they are gas filled and it fades over time so your picture gets less and less sharp and there is nothing you can do to fix it. another problem with plasma is heat....heat and electronics don't mix.........a big problem with LED TV's is if you smoke the LED lights can get covered with nicotine over time and show a slight yellow effect but who smokes in their houses any more?.......

The same can be said of me...full of gas and fading over time! [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

that may have been true a few generations back, like when Plasma first came out but the newer LCD/LED panels with 240hz have better picture quality now. A big problem with Plasma is they are gas filled and it fades over time so your picture gets less and less sharp and there is nothing you can do to fix it. another problem with plasma is heat....heat and electronics don't mix.........a big problem with LED TV's is if you smoke the LED lights can get covered with nicotine over time and show a slight yellow effect but who smokes in their houses any more?.......

I'll take a Panasonic plasma over any LED on the market, it's too bad they don't make them anymore. Nothing creates a more realistic picture than a Panasonic plasma. They also don't get nearly as hot as they did when they came out and they easily last as long as LEDs. I see a lot of LED TVs with bad panels, it's much less common on plasma. The latest generation of plasmas also don't fade even close to how they used to, you can easily get 5 years before they start to even start to fade...the thing is, LEDs have a brighter picture because LEDs are bright. That's also why the darker colors look faded on LEDs.

Dodge Ford Chevy, same kind of discussion it can go on forever.......I feel the same about some LED TV's when properly calibrated I'm not talking preset buttons I'm talking 3 to 4 hour manual set up.......some incredible picture quality......like walk right into the scene quality.......LED tv's have the capability if properly set......

I was looking and came home more confused.The Blue shirt at Best Buy told me to stay away from Sharp.Because they get a thin green line at the bottom of the screen.He showed me one that had it.He claims they do not glue the screen or panel in well and it comes loose and that is what causes the green line?He said if you want a budget TV go with Vizio.

He was pushing 4k and if I was buying I would go with the 49'' 4K Sony.However I might just go with a 1080p and forget 4K.But it will be a Sony.That is what I have now and have always had good luck with both of my 32'' Sonys .So to me after you look at Sony you go home.

Seems to me people get new TV sets every 3 to 5 years that buy anything but Sony.My newest one is at least 5 years old and the other one is when a 32'' was $1000.00 so its got some age on it for sure.Might wait until one of them crap out.But that might be a long time.

He's waaaay off. Now I can't say that there isn't a problem with the recent Sharp panels, but I can tell you that no one "glues" their panel in and certainly not Sharp. The panel assembly is attached to the front bezel by metal clips. The panel is then held together by metal and/or plastic frames with several screws. Then they take tape and seal the edges so there is no light bleed through. This is how all panels are held together, with the exception of the tape...some use thin plastic and then tape that plastic down. The only glue is sometimes LEDs are glued onto the assembly frame before they're screwed down. On Sharp, that only happens on their low-end sets that are only edge-lit on the bottom, the medium-high to high end are edge-lit on all four sides...unless they're full array, where they are along the entire back, this is done for local dimming.

Dodge Ford Chevy, same kind of discussion it can go on forever.......I feel the same about some LED TV's when properly calibrated I'm not talking preset buttons I'm talking 3 to 4 hour manual set up.......some incredible picture quality......like walk right into the scene quality.......LED tv's have the capability if properly set......

I work on TVs all day, 5 days a week...I know how to calibrate a TV. Most people don't know what they're doing, I do. Every TV out of the box or at the store is set up to look like crap. I hear several times a week "Wow, I didn't realize my TV could look that good" or if it's next to a Panasonic plasma it's "My TV looks great but why doesn't my TV look that good?"

Awesome information folks, I really appreciate it.  This is way I love the crew here at TIA, I have learned a ton, now I need to digest all of it, and see if I can narrow done some choices.

SIDE NOTE: Unfortunately plasma is no-go, due to the interference they create on my Ham and Shortwave radios, I guess I should have mentioned that but didn't think they we still being produced.

-Steven

Awesome information folks, I really appreciate it.  This is way I love the crew here at TIA, I have learned a ton, now I need to digest all of it, and see if I can narrow done some choices.

SIDE NOTE: Unfortunately plasma is no-go, due to the interference they create on my Ham and Shortwave radios, I guess I should have mentioned that but didn't think they we still being produced.

-Steven

The owner of the shop I work at is big into Ham and Shortwave, he has a couple of plasmas and they don't really interfere any more than LCD/LEDs...but yeah, if you're buying new you aren't going to get a plasma. Panasonic stopped making them last December, Samsung and LG stopped this year. They couldn't get the price low enough to compete with the Chinese LEDs, it's an expensive technology.

I should have some magnetic ferrite cable clips at the shop if you are having any interference problems, if you want a couple. Just PM me an address. :) 

• Like 1

I bought what was at the time the top of the line Sony TV it was a 50 inch SXRD and it cost a pretty penny. Best picture I had ever seen on a TV, for about 9 months. Then the Optical block went out for the first time. This was a top pick on "Sound and Vision" magazine too. I had to have it replaced twice. It turned out to be a major defect with the TV. I will say that Sony replaced it both times for no cost to me and in a timely manner but I am very leary of Sony ever since. 

I was in the market for a new TV to replace one of my 32'' Sony's with something around 50''But have since decided to keep what I have.After researching it seems the new ones break down and do not hold up.I will keep what I have until one dies and I feel that will be long after what something new will last.Sound like the Chinese Gremlins have taken over the TV industry.Heck I did not know there was such a thing as a TV repair shop working on sets everyday.I thought you hooked a new one up and you ran it until you wanted something different in about 10 years.Then had the old one sitting in storage until you gave it away to a recycle center.

I bought what was at the time the top of the line Sony TV it was a 50 inch SXRD and it cost a pretty penny. Best picture I had ever seen on a TV, for about 9 months. Then the Optical block went out for the first time. This was a top pick on "Sound and Vision" magazine too. I had to have it replaced twice. It turned out to be a major defect with the TV. I will say that Sony replaced it both times for no cost to me and in a timely manner but I am very leary of Sony ever since. 

Yeah, those would turn green when the optical block went, they were great sets when they came out. I actually replaced an optical block about two months ago in a Sony. Apparently there is a guy that repairs the optical blocks for about $200. I didn't really do any homework on the guy because I was just pulling it and then reinstalling and calibrating it, but it worked. I normally just tell them to replace the TV because the optical block is expensive as hell when you can find them, it would probably be a $800 repair now. The only projection TVs we do anymore are DLPs, changing color wheels and DLP chips mostly.

Keep in mind, that set was actually made by Sony a lot of components were made in Japan. Currently, all Sonys that I've seen are made in China buy one of the various Chinese companies. So better or worse, you really can't compare that Sony to this Sony. I haven't seen (inside) their curved displays yet(which I believe they stopped "making"). I wouldn't buy a Sony, I really wouldn't...shame because they made some really good TVs about 6-7 years ago and before then...I just don't see the value over an LG or even a LG paneled Vizio. Sony mostly uses AUO panels, same kind of panels you'd often find it an off-name brand.

I remember back in the day, Sony CRT computer monitors where the best, and nothing could come close.  So far I am leaning towards a Vizio, but thinking if I save a few more bucks I will look at the other suggestions.  

Get the extended warranty, I'm literally getting about one E-series 60-70" Vizio a week with a bad panel (not fixable) and my shop isn't even a Vizio authorized service center. I haven't seen this many failures on a line of TVs ever. If you wait until Monday when I'm back in the shop I can get you the models effected, it's only about three models that I've noticed thus far...I know it's a E-601-something. It's not a bad TV when it's working, they have a LG or Sharp panel(good picture) and timing control board, a Sharp(Delta) power supply(these are VERY well made) and a Chinese main board(Foxconn).

• Like 1

Get the extended warranty, I'm literally getting about one E-series 60-70" Vizio a week with a bad panel (not fixable) and my shop isn't even a Vizio authorized service center. I haven't seen this many failures on a line of TVs ever. If you wait until Monday when I'm back in the shop I can get you the models effected, it's only about three models that I've noticed thus far...I know it's a E-601-something. It's not a bad TV when it's working, they have a LG or Sharp panel(good picture) and timing control board, a Sharp(Delta) power supply(these are VERY well made) and a Chinese main board(Foxconn).

My purchase date is planned for either first week of December, or first week of February.  I really appreciate all the help your offering, this is what makes TIA a great place to hang out.  

• Like 1

My purchase date is planned for either first week of December, or first week of February.  I really appreciate all the help your offering, this is what makes TIA a great place to hang out.  

I just went with a 49'' 4k Sony XBR49X830C and added a Sony sound bar 300 watt HTCT380 took the 5 year protection agreement that cover surges and also added a Panamax surge/power conditioner model MB-AV-PRO.

Not sure if I will get any advantage from the 4k but atleast its there for the future. 

Oh I totally forgot to mention that if you have Direct TV or Brighthouse they will warranty your electronics if you're hit by a surge, at least in our area. Brighthouse doesn't advertise it, they only mention it if you're cancelling to switch to Verizon, who charges for that coverage. Also, buy with your credit card if you have one that offers warranty protection. I think American express doubles the warranty.

Also, if you plan on using that service, read the terms. Sometimes it covers lightning, sometimes it does not...if you don't feel like reading, just play dumb. I can generally tell if it's lightning damage but we don't have to disclose that information, all we do is diagnose what the bad part(s) is/are and replace the part(s). There are a couple of warranty companies that allow component level repair but normally they just want us to replace the part.

Good choice with the Sony and getting 4k.  I believe the picture is a world of a difference.  Unfortunately we are limited to what we can view in 4k as of right now though.

Also, im surprised by all the Samsung hate.  I just got myself a 55'' led 4k and its picture is amazing after being calibrated.  And you are able to turn off the "soap opera effect" in the more advanced settings.

Oh I totally forgot to mention that if you have Direct TV or Brighthouse they will warranty your electronics if you're hit by a surge, at least in our area. Brighthouse doesn't advertise it, they only mention it if you're cancelling to switch to Verizon, who charges for that coverage. Also, buy with your credit card if you have one that offers warranty protection. I think American express doubles the warranty.

Also, if you plan on using that service, read the terms. Sometimes it covers lightning, sometimes it does not...if you don't feel like reading, just play dumb. I can generally tell if it's lightning damage but we don't have to disclose that information, all we do is diagnose what the bad part(s) is/are and replace the part(s). There are a couple of warranty companies that allow component level repair but normally they just want us to replace the part.

I think there is something about coverage with Directv?I have the extended service with them also.It waves the service call fee and I think it does cover attached equipment?If you pay a higher level of service?But I am a new customer with them so would not want to trust it.I had a Desktop computer with coverage several years ago.Best Buy came right to the house and replaced components that were taken out from my phone line that took a hit in a storm.I remember it went very smooth and no hassles what so ever. I think they take care of the customer very well.Also they replaced my XBox no problem. Plus the Panamax surge/power conditioner claims to cover components attached to it.But would not want to count on that.I did put the reciept up in a safe place just in case however.

I think there is something about coverage with Directv?I have the extended service with them also.It waves the service call fee and I think it does cover attached equipment?If you pay a higher level of service?But I am a new customer with them so would not want to trust it.I had a Desktop computer with coverage several years ago.Best Buy came right to the house and replaced components that were taken out from my phone line that took a hit in a storm.I remember it went very smooth and no hassles what so ever. I think they take care of the customer very well.Also they replaced my XBox no problem. Plus the Panamax surge/power conditioner claims to cover components attached to it.But would not want to count on that.I did put the reciept up in a safe place just in case however.

I'm not a DirectTV customer but based on my end; they outsource to a large warranty company for the claim(NEW) and that's who handles the warranty. I think they cover all electronics or at least all electronics connected to one of their systems...They will warranty an audio receiver, for example. Our shop only does TV repair for NEW because that's what they specifically wanted us to do...though it's pretty annoying to hear a customer talk about their audio equipment being sent someplace else because that's a huge part of our business.

With NEW, they pay us entirely, the customer is not responsible for any form of payment. With credit card warranties, the customer gets a quote and pays us for the repair then we print a second invoice for the customer to send to the credit card company...they cover the initial bench fee or in-home service fee as well as the labor/part(s).

Sorry it took soo long, looks like there are four effected models though I didn't search online if there were others that have been found...this is just my shop's experiences.

All four have Sharp panels, which are also found in other Vizios so again it may not be limited to these four:

601I-A3

601I-A3E

701I-A3

701I-A3E

this is where TV companies get technical and try to confuse the consumer, the higher the Hz number the less blur the best is without enhancements

Clear Motion Rate (CMR) is a combination of advanced backlighting technology, significant improvements in panel response rates and ultra fast image processing.

CMR = (interpolated hertz rate) / (percentage of a refresh that's lit up by a single bright backlight flash)

but when it comes right down to it unless you have perfect vision, sitting exactly in the right spot have the right lighting in the room, watching programming that is flawless you are just splitting hairs and the best TV to buy is the one the looks the best to YOU!

Have I mentioned I smell Colors......

• Like 1