TV Suggestions Needed

WigWagWorkshop

Good Day Crew!

I am in need of suggestions/recommendations for a new TV. Some of the criteria's I have are listed below, I appreciate your help and suggestions.  I currently have an old 65" rear projection, picture is ok but the sound is AWESOME! So if you have an additional suggestion for a sound system to add would be cool.  

*55" - 70"

*Don't need/want 4k

*Non Samsung

*Under $2,000

*True 1080p

I don't really watch much "traditional" TV shows, movies or sports, but I do enjoy watching Documentaries and Concerts.

-Steven

Hrmm you might be shooting your self in the foot not getting a 4k tv. It's kind of becoming the standard now the deal on a 4k set might be better. That's just from looking around. Plus your future proofed which is nice even though I doubt 4k broadcasts will happen anytime soon. I'm a big fan of Vizio they make good tv's at a budget price.

I had a 55" LG 3D LED when 3D was still relatively new. They replaced the panel twice under warranty and when it went out a 3rd time just after the warranty, I trashed it and bought a Samsung.

In all honesty, I've gotten the best service out of Vizio

Hrmm you might be shooting your self in the foot not getting a 4k tv. It's kind of becoming the standard now the deal on a 4k set might be better. That's just from looking around. Plus your future proofed which is nice even though I doubt 4k broadcasts will happen anytime soon. I'm a big fan of Vizio they make good tv's at a budget price.

umm well being a technical writer for Samsung, Sharp and LG I beg to differ on the 4K it is not for everyone......mainly due to room size, if you are sitting in a room that has 2- 6 feet from your set then you might see a lit bit of difference, (is 6 feet and under realistic for a 60" or 70" TV?) if you are sitting any more than 6 feet away from your TV you are getting no real difference.

Some may have heard of Apple's big thing about Retina Displays, all it is, is a distance that the eyeball can not see every pixel, sit far enough away from a 4k set and you will have the same effect as a retina display or better yet 1080P....just saying.....

• Like 1

umm well being a technical writer for Samsung, Sharp and LG I beg to differ on the 4K it is not for everyone......mainly due to room size, if you are sitting in a room that has 2- 6 feet from your set then you might see a lit bit of difference, (is 6 feet and under realistic for a 60" or 70" TV?) if you are sitting any more than 6 feet away from your TV you are getting no real difference.

Some may have heard of Apple's big thing about Retina Displays, all it is, is a distance that the eyeball can not see every pixel, sit far enough away from a 4k set and you will have the same effect as a retina display or better yet 1080P....just saying.....

That's why I am not interested in spending the extra coin on 4k, that and my eyesight is poor.  I have 2 options for locations, one is about 14ft and the other is above the fireplace, which would be 8ft. 

I had a 55" LG 3D LED when 3D was still relatively new. They replaced the panel twice under warranty and when it went out a 3rd time just after the warranty, I trashed it and bought a Samsung.

In all honesty, I've gotten the best service out of Vizio

Thanks for the feedback, I was actually looking at LG.  The TV's we had (before the split) were all Vizio brand, and there did look pretty good.

My current job is electronics repair and I've been doing it for a few years now. Our main business is repairing TVs. Right now, Sharp Quattrons are the best TV out. I prefer plasma for the realistic flesh tones and movement but since they've stopped making them the Sharp LED is the best out there...short of the Pioneer Elites which are very expensive, they're literally the Sharp Quattrons with full array LEDs and local dimming.

LG is probably the best value TV out there. They use good panels but crappy components, so buy the extended warranty.

Vizio doesn't make anything and never have. Originally they were either LG or Samsung on the inside...now it's mostly low quality Chinese everything, AUO panels/timing control boards with main boards and power supplies from whatever Chinese manufacter. The high end Vizio is a little better with a LG panel and Sharp(Delta) power supply and Chinese main board...but they have an issue with bad panels, I have three 70" Vizio TVs that are junk and we stopped letting people leave them.

I hate Samsung's picture, they always have some sort of digital enhancement thing that you can't turn off so things in motion get this weird motion blur.

Panasonic's LEDs are pretty nice but not nearly as nice as their plasmas were, they use LG panels.

4K, don't waste your money in my opinion. Right now most people aren't even getting 1080p content through their cable/satellite box. The amount of 4K content won't be widely available for a while and really, unless you're getting a huge TV AND sitting really close, you won't see the difference. They have charts online that show where you'd benefit with a 4K TV, most people won't benefit.

Always get the extended warranty, every brand has it's issues. It's worth the extra cost for the security.

+1 on the sharp, also  if you want to split hairs a good calibration can do wonders.........

also talking about 4K and stuff look how long DLP sets were around........best thing since sliced bread for 8 months.......garbage.........after that......but because of media and marketing many people bought into to it......no different than the 4k now......

I hate Samsung's picture, they always have some sort of digital enhancement thing that you can't turn off so things in motion get this weird motion blur.

some also call this the soap opera effect... aside from Samsung some others offer an enhanced motion 120hz to 240hz so when looking at TV sets never get enhanced anything.........

some also call this the soap opera effect... aside from Samsung some others offer an enhanced motion 120hz to 240hz so when looking at TV sets never get enhanced anything.........

They pretty much all offer enhancement, first thing you should shut off...problem with Samsung is you can't shut it off. We worked on a 8000 series Samsung and it was terrible, watching it made me feel sea sick.

I hate DLPs, we still work on them. The original DLPs made me sick to watch after a while and I saw weird coloration in them. Later DLPs were better but I hate how soft the edges are and obviously the larger ones are darker because it's a lot to ask for a lamp to light up such a large TV. The squeel from the color wheel and high voltage sound from the ballast were also pretty annoying. Plus, in areas like Florida(where I live) with the power surges, the lamps take some big hits because they lose power and that kills the fan that cools the lamp. Plus with replacing lamps(every two years), a color wheel(after about 5 years) and a DLP chip(about 8 years) they're not cheap to own.

I would go Vizio bro I've had problems with LG and hitachi uuuhh those gave me such a pain in the ass but my 55 Vizio has lasted U.S. year withought any problems I'm also LOOKIN to replace my 60" Mitsubishi dlp as it it takes about 5 min to turn on now last Black Friday I got a 50" Emerson from wal mart for under $200 bucks that's been a champ to us also. Good luck man

I was looking and came home more confused.The Blue shirt at Best Buy told me to stay away from Sharp.Because they get a thin green line at the bottom of the screen.He showed me one that had it.He claims they do not glue the screen or panel in well and it comes loose and that is what causes the green line?He said if you want a budget TV go with Vizio.

He was pushing 4k and if I was buying I would go with the 49'' 4K Sony.However I might just go with a 1080p and forget 4K.But it will be a Sony.That is what I have now and have always had good luck with both of my 32'' Sonys .So to me after you look at Sony you go home.

Seems to me people get new TV sets every 3 to 5 years that buy anything but Sony.My newest one is at least 5 years old and the other one is when a 32'' was $1000.00 so its got some age on it for sure.Might wait until one of them crap out.But that might be a long time.

I have had great luck with my Sony, I think it's a Bravia but can't remember the model number. I've had it for about 7 years now and no issues. I had an old Sony Vega before that. I have had pretty decent luck with Sony. Of course others may differ. The Vizio seems pretty decent for the money. We have LG'S in all of our bedrooms and have not had trouble with them. Anymore I am not sure why I care about tvs, the only thing ever on when we are inside are cartoons!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have had great luck with my Sony, I think it's a Bravia but can't remember the model number. I've had it for about 7 years now and no issues. I had an old Sony Vega before that. I have had pretty decent luck with Sony. Of course others may differ. The Vizio seems pretty decent for the money. We have LG'S in all of our bedrooms and have not had trouble with them. Anymore I am not sure why I care about tvs, the only thing ever on when we are inside are cartoons!

if it is only 7 yrs old it is a Bravia Sony changed their tag name from Wega in 2005 to Bravia (Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture) 

I have an LG that I have had to repair twice, the Samsung and the Philips have not given my any trouble.  I have friends who really like the Vizio TV's.  I also own an LG refrigerator that I have had to repair several times so I am not really the biggest fan of LG right now. 

if it is only 7 yrs old it is a Bravia Sony changed their tag name from Wega in 2005 to Bravia (Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture)

Thanks comp. I never new what Bravia stood for either.

Yes both of mine our Bravia.Go to the store and take a look at the color and picture.When I do that Sony wins every time.

• Like 1

Yes both of mine our Bravia.Go to the store and take a look at the color and picture.When I do that Sony wins every time.

that might be true for you but you can't judge a TV from store settings, they are usually set real high to catch you eye, if you left it like that when you got home it would look like crap. 

that might be true for you but you can't judge a TV from store settings, they are usually set real high to catch you eye, if you left it like that when you got home it would look like crap. 

There up high in the store but your standing.You set them lower at home because your setting.About eye level middle of screen is right for me.I always thought that was why there higher in the store because you are standing?Best Buy around here sets them up that way in the store.About the only place I look these days.Because Walmart model number are never the same as any one else.There built for Walmart just like there tires.Sams club does not sell Sony.Sears I do not go there.So not sure.But regardless of brand there the same height in the store Sony is not put on a higher shelf. 

There up high in the store but your standing.You set them lower at home because your setting.About eye level middle of screen is right for me.I always thought that was why there higher in the store because you are standing?Best Buy around here sets them up that way in the store.About the only place I look these days.Because Walmart model number are never the same as any one else.There built for Walmart just like there tires.Sams club does not sell Sony.Sears I do not go there.So not sure.But regardless of brand there the same height in the store Sony is not put on a higher shelf. 

sorry I don't mean the height of the TV I mean the settings within the TV brightness, contrast, back lighting, ect ect ......very vivid settings to the picture to catch your eye.......

Panasonic makes the best plasma TV's by far if you are in to that. Not too many manufacturers making plasma anymore but they have the better picture by far. Get the biggest TV you can afford I would say no matter what you get. 

that may have been true a few generations back, like when Plasma first came out but the newer LCD/LED panels with 240hz have better picture quality now. A big problem with Plasma is they are gas filled and it fades over time so your picture gets less and less sharp and there is nothing you can do to fix it. another problem with plasma is heat....heat and electronics don't mix.........a big problem with LED TV's is if you smoke the LED lights can get covered with nicotine over time and show a slight yellow effect but who smokes in their houses any more?.......