Cordless mitersaw

Kenneth Denmark

Wel im no engineer so i wouldnt know what upping the size to 10 inch would do but as toolboxbuzz/aconcord Carpenter have proven the runtime on a charge is double that of the dewalt.

I just think Makita Engineers have been lazy. They used 80% of the parts from their previous model 18v mitre. They just designed a neW motor, to get the extreme runtime and power, that they pasted on the frame of the previous model.

Very quick way to put a cordless mitre on the market which, undoubtetly, is the strongest and fastest their is. But it could have been much more !!

I don't own one, but my votes for dewalt of course. The numbers on the other saws r impressive though. I'm waiting for a 12" sliding cordless miter saw. And I'm thinking run time and number of cuts could be easily improved with a diablo blade.

Yeah I used the Dewalt blade that came with the saw and wasn't all that impressed so I bought a Diablo and its  so much smoother with a cleaner cut that I could definitely see you getting more cuts with the Diablo.

I don't own one, but my votes for dewalt of course. The numbers on the other saws r impressive though. I'm waiting for a 12" sliding cordless miter saw. And I'm thinking run time and number of cuts could be easily improved with a diablo blade.

I would love to see Ryobi and/or Dewalt do that. I mention those two because something like that would likely require 40v batteries and those two are the only miter saw manufacturers I know of that also make 40v batteries. 

Don't know if we will see a 12 in cordless miter anytime soon, maybe a 10ch but I can't see dewalt putting the 40v pack in a saw, they e kept that line for their lawn care tools. Now if we see a 40v SDS or something then maybe a miter saw in that platform won't be far along.

The problem is the current required for the motor to power that large of a blade and not to lose rpms while making a cut. Now there are some rumors of some new dewalt batteries coming out, so it will be interesting to see this year.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have an old Bosch 24v NiCad 10" miter saw, currently sitting on the shelf for lack of a good battery to power it. I believe the model number was 3924. When it was new, it was a great light duty portable saw that did not lack for power in cutting 2x material. This particular item is the only Bosch cordless power tool that I purchased over the years that did not die of motor failure and saw quite a bit of use in its time, even as the batteries slowly died. I keep it because I hope to adapt an alternative power source for it someday when I find the time. The fact that a 10" cordless has been produced in the past does make me wonder why one is not currently available though.

• Like 1

Don't know if we will see a 12 in cordless miter anytime soon, maybe a 10ch but I can't see dewalt putting the 40v pack in a saw, they e kept that line for their lawn care tools. Now if we see a 40v SDS or something then maybe a miter saw in that platform won't be far along.

The problem is the current required for the motor to power that large of a blade and not to lose rpms while making a cut. Now there are some rumors of some new dewalt batteries coming out, so it will be interesting to see this year.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milwaukee has had a 8.5" miter in Europe for a while now and metabo just introduced one as well. Both are brushed so I could see a m18 fuel 10" be on the way. In kinda surprised Makita didn't go 10", they have the bones to push it with 36v and brushless...

I have an old Bosch 24v NiCad 10" miter saw, currently sitting on the shelf for lack of a good battery to power it. I believe the model number was 3924. When it was new, it was a great light duty portable saw that did not lack for power in cutting 2x material. This particular item is the only Bosch cordless power tool that I purchased over the years that did not die of motor failure and saw quite a bit of use in its time, even as the batteries slowly died. I keep it because I hope to adapt an alternative power source for it someday when I find the time. The fact that a 10" cordless has been produced in the past does make me wonder why one is not currently available though.

You should be able to find a 24V lithium ion pack for RC people or worst case stick two 12V back to back.

If I could get my hands on one of those saws I would try to put together a converter to run it off 2x18V batteries but it looks like they've been out of production a while.

Out of these two my favourite is the Metabo, but the Makita is more powerful -

https://youtu.be/Y797_WDgMCU

https://youtu.be/qqvi2ljvhAU

I have not tried the Dealt yet, but from all accounts sounds pretty good.

Good luck with you choice!

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2016 at 5:36 AM, james10million said:

Out of these two my favourite is the Metabo, but the Makita is more powerful -

https://youtu.be/Y797_WDgMCU

https://youtu.be/qqvi2ljvhAU

I have not tried the Dealt yet, but from all accounts sounds pretty good.

Good luck with you choice!

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

The problem I would have with Metabo is the 8 1/2" blade. That size is obscure and not widely available and would limit your selection of blades. 

• Like 1