You can take a man off the roof, but you can't take the roof out of a man

KnarlyCarl

I grew up working for my dad in construction, then he switched strictly to roofing later on, and that's the majority of my experience. Well that carried on a little bit when I moved out because people found out, so I did a few roofing projects here and there, even though I was really done with roofing. I've still been asked to do a few projects here and there, and just can't seem to say no to it lol.

This is about a repair that was so laughable, I question the credentials and values of the roofer that did this:

3e98d6407968f3a8112ecafead2239bc.jpg

First, wrong flashing for EPDM rubber!

Second, don't use roof pitch on EPDM rubber!

Third, don't spread the crap all over the place for when someone has to come back to fix it correctly!

ef5345b89c0a2ac8e6c372244694d4c7.jpg

Come to find out, they were no longer using the tankless water heater that the gasline and venting was for, so I just removed everything and made it easy on myself. New piece of EPDM and cleaned all the old roof pitch off (time consuming)

Next pics are conduit with the wrong flashing, wrong sealant, so I removed and put the proper one in place, called "witches hat"

Hey no more leaks

5dd0a32f007aab2a8791836d8dab3b8a.jpg

cc31e74f4207a74f3e8755298ac7f6c7.jpg

There were a few other wrong flashing in place, so I repeated the process and took care of it permanently

6c860db238ce5fb3706c0f32e7814f77.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Question Karl. when I purchased my home, homeowners were required to fix venting in bathroom that vented in to attic. So they connected two bathrooms to 1 pvc pipe through roof then put a tin hat over the top of it. I the winter we constantly get water on br floor due to condensation. Was this done incorrectly.

Question Karl. when I purchased my home, homeowners were required to fix venting in bathroom that vented in to attic. So they connected two bathrooms to 1 pvc pipe through roof then put a tin hat over the top of it. I the winter we constantly get water on br floor due to condensation. Was this done incorrectly.

Is this drain vents or exhaust fans?

Also so you dont think im an idiot, I know you said pvc pipe, which would indicate drain vents, but you also said a cap on top, and I've seen pvc used for some crazy applications, so I wanted to clear that up.

If you see condensation on the outside of the pipe in your attic, you've got a lot of moisture coming into contact with the pipe, kinda a weird scenario but I suppose it's possible.

Where do you see the moisture when you look at the pipe?

I grew up working for my dad in construction, then he switched strictly to roofing later on, and that's the majority of my experience. Well that carried on a little bit when I moved out because people found out, so I did a few roofing projects here and there, even though I was really done with roofing. I've still been asked to do a few projects here and there, and just can't seem to say no to it lol.

This is about a repair that was so laughable, I question the credentials and values of the roofer that did this:

3e98d6407968f3a8112ecafead2239bc.jpg

First, wrong flashing for EPDM rubber!

Second, don't use roof pitch on EPDM rubber!

Third, don't spread the crap all over the place for when someone has to come back to fix it correctly!

ef5345b89c0a2ac8e6c372244694d4c7.jpg

Come to find out, they were no longer using the tankless water heater that the gasline and venting was for, so I just removed everything and made it easy on myself. New piece of EPDM and cleaned all the old roof pitch off (time consuming)

Next pics are conduit with the wrong flashing, wrong sealant, so I removed and put the proper one in place, called "witches hat"

Hey no more leaks

5dd0a32f007aab2a8791836d8dab3b8a.jpg

cc31e74f4207a74f3e8755298ac7f6c7.jpg

There were a few other wrong flashing in place, so I repeated the process and took care of it permanently

6c860db238ce5fb3706c0f32e7814f77.jpg

That looks much cleaner. Good job. I hate going back over Other peoples mess ups. I makes me feel better about my craftsmanship though. And so should you.

Millerz

Ok so the condensation is draining down inside the exhaust venting. If the venting is joined together, there is probably a long run of venting somewhere I'm guessing because the bathrooms are far apart? The venting needs to be as short as possible, to prevent the moisture from cooling down before it reaches the outside which means putting two vents thru the roof. Also no need for pvc, use a proper roof flashing for that kind of thing.

https://api.ferguson.com/dar-step-service/Query?USE_TYPE=ATG_PRIMARY_STANDARD_IMAGE&PRODUCT_ID=940981

Huh there goes that theory.

How much pvc sticks out the roof? If its enough, that's probably where the condensation occurs, and then drains back. Id say use a flexible plastic/vinyl venting and attach it to the underside of the vent flashing like I posted so as to not have that length of venting sticking out above the roofline