Impact wrench gen 2?

jorge52892

Only used it one time for a castle nut on a buddy's side by side but that wasn't even a challenge for it on mode 2 on mode 1 I gotta say it feels pretty damn weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would mode 1 work for running lug nuts home then using a torque wrench for final tightening? That's what I do with my Bluepoint air impact at least

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Would mode 1 work for running lug nuts home then using a torque wrench for final tightening? That's what I do with my Bluepoint air impact at least

Yes, that's what a one key mode would be great for as well.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just as long as you didn't run it down to the max torque on mode one. Unless of course your wheels need more than one hundred ft/lbs.

I've heard that those torque sticks only work with an air impact and not a cordless impact. I don't know if tgat is true or not though.

That's the first time I've heard that. I looked it up and from what it sounds like is most electric impacts are too fast for most torque sticks so the torsion action of the stick can't respond quickly enough. Basically what it comes down to is that whether your impact is pnuematic or electric doesn't matter, you just have to be sure the stick is rated for the speed of your impact.

Yup it would be perfect for that on my truck. The trucks lug nuts require 130-150 ft lbs of torque if I remember correctly so mode one would get me close enough to it to finish off with a torque wrench

Just as long as you didn't run it down to the max torque on mode one. Unless of course your wheels need more than one hundred ft/lbs.

Max torque in mode 1 is 100 lbs for the hog ring anvil, I think it's higher on the detent pin.

Jimbo

I've heard that those torque sticks only work with an air impact and not a cordless impact. I don't know if tgat is true or not though.

I wish you would have told me sooner.  I already bought a set of torque sticks to use with my 2763. 

I used the 2763 & a 110 lb torque stick to adjust my HF click torque wrench.  I thought using a torque stick to tighten a nut then adjusting my HF torque wrench to break the nut loose at the same pound setting would make the HF torque wrench fairly accurate.  Now I'm going to have to break out the air impact and use it with the torque extension to see if it is at the same poundage. 

I wish you would have told me sooner. I already bought a set of torque sticks to use with my 2763.

I used the 2763 & a 110 lb torque stick to adjust my HF click torque wrench. I thought using a torque stick to tighten a nut then adjusting my HF torque wrench to break the nut loose at the same pound setting would make the HF torque wrench fairly accurate. Now I'm going to have to break out the air impact and use it with the torque extension to see if it is at the same poundage.

With you doing that, you can tell us if it is true or not.

I wish you would have told me sooner.  I already bought a set of torque sticks to use with my 2763. 

I used the 2763 & a 110 lb torque stick to adjust my HF click torque wrench.  I thought using a torque stick to tighten a nut then adjusting my HF torque wrench to break the nut loose at the same pound setting would make the HF torque wrench fairly accurate.  Now I'm going to have to break out the air impact and use it with the torque extension to see if it is at the same poundage. 

That method won't work.  You have to overcome inertia to move the nut, so it will take more than 110 ft-lb to break it loose.  You also shouldn't use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, as it were.

That method won't work.  You have to overcome inertia to move the nut, so it will take more than 110 ft-lb to break it loose.  You also shouldn't use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, as it were.

I had thought that tightening to a specified ft lbs then loosening that same nut would be a different amount of torque but don't know of a more accurate way.

I had thought that tightening to a specified ft lbs then loosening that same nut would be a different amount of torque but don't know of a more accurate way.

there is a lot of science going there more than I can explain......

A more accurate hack way of doing it in the garage would be to set your torque wrench to 60 lbs or whatever and hang a dumbell from it that is 60 lbs. Let the weight of the dumbbell move the wrench instead of you. Still difficult to get right, but it would be closer than seeing what the breakaway torque is.

• Like 1

A more accurate hack way of doing it in the garage would be to set your torque wrench to 60 lbs or whatever and hang a dumbell from it that is 60 lbs. Let the weight of the dumbbell move the wrench instead of you. Still difficult to get right, but it would be closer than seeing what the breakaway torque is.

Yes that would probably be pretty good.  Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2016 at 11:56 AM, jorge52892 said:

Anyone heard anything about the high torque impact wrenches coming out in a gen 2 anytime soon? I want to buy one but I can wait if it's coming out soon

So apparently, yes, one is coming sometime, but all i've heard mention was the fact that the electrical terminals on the current impact wrench aren't spring absorbed to take the vibrations when the battery vibrates around a little. I guess the gen 2 model will address that.