New Vanity Install in 1/2 Bath

WigWagWorkshop

Good Day Crew!

I am about to embark on my first bathroom remodel project.  I will be replacing the vanity, sink, faucet, mirror, and lighting in our 1/2 bathroom.  Anyone on the TIA crew have any advice, tips, or tricks? I am hoping I won't have to re-route any of the plumbing lines to accommodate the new vanity, but won't know that till I remove the old one.  Since this is technically me ladies "powder room", if it involves any tools I don't already have, I will get to buy them lol. 

Thank You all in advance,

-Steven

• Like 4

all depends on how the old one was installed, old house newer house, some old houses had build ins how is the rest of the wall of the room, when you remove vanity are all the walls ok if you have to do any flooring do it first......

Instead of a vanity cabinet, you might consider a pedestal sink. Gives the illusion of more space in a small room. Weather or not you do something like that, I would still apply floor covering (i.e. tile/vinyl) before setting a vanity. This leaves room to change your mind at a later date, and does not really cost any extra if done now.

Pedestal sink is a good idea, my advice is to make sure you measure old-versus-new. I installed two new vanities in our bathrooms, and both times I had to run back to the store to get extensions for the pipe. No big deal but if I had measured the height I wouldn't have had to make two trips. With the vanity in our bathroom I had to notch out the back, there is a divider wall between the cabinet side and the drawer side, and it butted up against the cold water valve. Had to use the multi-tool to cut out a piece of the "wall" to accommodate. Again, no big deal but it would have been nice to have known before I shoved the thing against the wall.

• Like 1

When you are putting the new sink and vanity in. Put as much of the hardware on the sink as possible. Like the faucet and handles stopper plumbers putty stuff like that before mounting the sink. And you may need a sink extension to go from the sink to the trap?if your using taller cabinets

Millerz

• Like 2

Must be nice I'm sure the floor is level, the walls square, and no old chimney running up through the one wall, unlike mine..... ha.

Zach is right, it's so much easier putting on your faucet and sink tail piece before you set it, pedestal or not.

I agree with the pedestal sink idea, I did that to my bathroom and actually love it, contrary to my original speculations

Make sure to post pics please Steve

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Instead of a vanity cabinet, you might consider a pedestal sink. Gives the illusion of more space in a small room. Weather or not you do something like that, I would still apply floor covering (i.e. tile/vinyl) before setting a vanity. This leaves room to change your mind at a later date, and does not really cost any extra if done now.

She has her heart set on a certain vanity, in fact she already bought it.  I think the stone floor tile goes under the current vanity, if not we have extras we can install.

She has her heart set on a certain vanity, in fact she already bought it. I think the stone floor tile goes under the current vanity, if not we have extras we can install.

So you said you bought some new tools for this project, do tell!

• Like 1

Things are definitely not going well, nicked the copper pipe when I was trying to remove the bottom of the old vanity.  The plumbing comes up through the floor on the same side as the drawers of the new vanity.  So I am either going to need to move the plumbing over, or switch over the door and drawers on the new vanity.  Also I am going to need to lay tile down, has there is the old linoleum under the old vanity. 

I always hated having to install a cabinet over plumbing stubbed out of the floor instead of the back wall. Almost always would have some silly issue with alignment that would require extra time and effort, when punching holes in the base.

Wigwag, there is this stuff called Alure at HD. It is a vinyl planking. I used it in my kitchen and addition. Looks just like cherry flooring and is scored easily with a razor and you can easily cut out around curves or whatever. Additionally it is a floating floor system and I used some water proof caulking around my kitchen sink and rear door to prevent water from getting into the subfloor. Anyways the reason I bring this up is j will be smashing out the tile in my bath room and replacing it with Alure tile. Comes in planks, has texture and grout lines but goes together in planks in the same fashion plus it's waterproof. You can lay it right over the existing floor also. I've had mine down since installation for about eight years. Very durable and looks great.

• Like 2

Wigwag, there is this stuff called Alure at HD. It is a vinyl planking. I used it in my kitchen and addition. Looks just like cherry flooring and is scored easily with a razor and you can easily cut out around curves or whatever. Additionally it is a floating floor system and I used some water proof caulking around my kitchen sink and rear door to prevent water from getting into the subfloor. Anyways the reason I bring this up is j will be smashing out the tile in my bath room and replacing it with Alure tile. Comes in planks, has texture and grout lines but goes together in planks in the same fashion plus it's waterproof. You can lay it right over the existing floor also. I've had mine down since installation for about eight years. Very durable and looks great.

yes great product we put it in our main floor bathroom......looks like ceramic tile without the surfing across the floor.....

It doesn't help that they ran the water and drain up from below versus from the wall.

If you reeeeally want to get a nice finished look under the sink, put the plumbing in the wall instead, just cut open the wall and floor and the rest is easy lol

• Like 1