Which combi hammer, decisions!

imran

Hi all,

This forum is awesome, I'm so glad I've come across you guys n gals!

I've been lurking for a while so decided to register.

I want to purchase my first ever drill, I'm after a combi hammer and it seems a compact may fit my needs well.

I'll be using it around the house fixing and installing stuff inside and out. In the past I've borrowed tools but I want to have something of my own.

Narrowed my choice to (inc UK prices):

1) Dewalt DCD795 comes with a 1 x 4.0Ah ~ £141

2) Milwaukee M18BPD comes with 1 x 2.0Ah - £135

3) Another Milwaukee M18BPD comes with 2 x 1.5Ah - £135

4) Bosch GSB 18 V-LI comes with 2 x 2.0Ah - £105

The Dewalt is brushless the others aren’t, Milwaukee have an updated brushless model but its £209!

I'm leaning towards the M18BPD, but not sure if I should opt for 1 2.0Ah battery or 2 1.5Ah batteries.

Thanks very much everyone!

I would lean dewalt, for the price your getting brushless and a 4.0, it is a compact hammer, the Bosch seems like a good deal too but if your going to expand your line take a look at what you might be interested in Milwaukee and makita have better brushless options but if your keeping your collection small I'd check out the dewalt, I have the non hammer version of that drill and it's my favorite drill.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would lean to the Dewalt and Bosch too but that's just based on personal preference. Really look at the lines in their entirety and see what you might want to add to your collection. Depending on the hat you see yourself getting into, there you go!

Also, welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

yes when you don't have any tools it is easy to just grab any brand but it usually leads to more than just a drill you need or want and that is were this decision is important, some brands have different tools to offer in the same platform plus buying in a kit form now for a little more money might be cheaper in the long run.....

• Like 1

I would lean dewalt, for the price your getting brushless and a 4.0, it is a compact hammer, the Bosch seems like a good deal too but if your going to expand your line take a look at what you might be interested in Milwaukee and makita have better brushless options but if your keeping your collection small I'd check out the dewalt, I have the non hammer version of that drill and it's my favorite drill.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimbo - The Dewalt offers good bang for bucks from what it seems. Milwaukee gets a lot of good write ups, everyone talks about them quite a bit from what I've read. I have held the Bosch and it feels really good in the hand.

I would lean to the Dewalt and Bosch too but that's just based on personal preference. Really look at the lines in their entirety and see what you might want to add to your collection. Depending on the hat you see yourself getting into, there you go!

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I'm thinking of adding an impact driver in the very near future so all three would be able to serve up a good offering.

Welcome to the crew! you have a tough choice to make there man all the brands you mentioned are top notch picks and u will be happy with whatever kit you choose, Good Luck!

Many thanks, you have a great community here - thanks for the warm welcome.

yes when you don't have any tools it is easy to just grab any brand but it usually leads to more than just a drill you need or want and that is were this decision is important, some brands have different tools to offer in the same platform plus buying in a kit form now for a little more money might be cheaper in the long run.....

Its tough starting out you just don't know which way to go and its a little bit exciting too as you're not tied down to a specific battery platform.

Anyone know if there is a big diffeence between the Bosch GSB 18 V-LI and Bosch GSB 18 V-EC?

Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

Hey welcome to the forums Imran!

I personally have Dewalt but would always suggest Milwaukee if you need to greatly expand your tool line in the future, they seem the be the most innovative one out there atm.  If you're just gonna stick with the basic drill/impact + maybe one more, you cant go wrong with any of them!  Not sure on the availability across the pond.

On the GSB 18 V-Li vs. GSB 18 V-EC issue, it looks like the EC is the brushless version. But the EC is rated at 17 nm less torque, in exchange for less vibration and longer runtime, So i can see you hesitation on which is better. I wonder if anyone on here owns both and can give you a better opinion on the matter.

heres the links to both incase someone else knows better than I.

EC   http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gsb-18-v-ec-34800-ocs-p/

LI     http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gsb-18-v-li-33398-ocs-p/

• Like 1

hi mate screwfix have a bosh brushless on sale for their deal of the day! (offer ends midnight tonight) they have great after service so it would be well worth looking at and free returns if your not impressed. If you just want a drill its something to look at! Then again I buy all my tools in bulk over seas as is much much cheaper!

• Like 1

Hey welcome to the forums Imran!

I personally have Dewalt but would always suggest Milwaukee if you need to greatly expand your tool line in the future, they seem the be the most innovative one out there atm.  If you're just gonna stick with the basic drill/impact + maybe one more, you cant go wrong with any of them!  Not sure on the availability across the pond.

On the GSB 18 V-Li vs. GSB 18 V-EC issue, it looks like the EC is the brushless version. But the EC is rated at 17 nm less torque, in exchange for less vibration and longer runtime, So i can see you hesitation on which is better. I wonder if anyone on here owns both and can give you a better opinion on the matter.

heres the links to both incase someone else knows better than I.

EC   http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gsb-18-v-ec-34800-ocs-p/

LI     http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gsb-18-v-li-33398-ocs-p/

Thanks for the warm welcome! Dewalt and Milwaukee are the front runners at the moment and you're right they have a wide offering of brushless tools. Both are available here Milwaukee is tad pricier especially with their new 2016 products due to lack of stockists.

I assumed wrongly that the EC model would have the same torque if not better but that isn't the case so its thrown a spanner in the works. I have posted over at the Bosch forums for clarification on their models, its very confusing.

I found this Youtube review which suggests the EC model isn't really worth the extra should one have the brushed version:

hi mate screwfix have a bosh brushless on sale for their deal of the day! (offer ends midnight tonight) they have great after service so it would be well worth looking at and free returns if your not impressed. If you just want a drill its something to look at! Then again I buy all my tools in bulk over seas as is much much cheaper!

Just seen this, it seems it was £149 not so long ago before it went up! Screwfix cs is really good from experience, do you not get stiffed on import duties? Is the EC model really worth another £50?

I have a. DeWalt and its pretty neat. The screwdriving mode has a stagger start which is kinda cool. I have made my piece with not having a Milwaukee but there's always a part of of me that wishes I had gone for the Bosch.

Its strange as I seem to get pulled towards the Bosch until someone mentions Dewalt and the cycle starts all over again.

Welcome to the forum and crew

I would go with Dewalt

But the would all probably do what you want them to do

Thanks, what I really like about the Dewalt is it comes with a 4Ah battery.

Welcome to the crew. Like Jimbo said, the DeWalt seems like the best deal. Brushless and they have plenty of tools to continue your new collection

Many thanks - Dewalt is priced well but so is Bosch it seems!

Bosch gsb 18v EC ( brushless )

Makita dhp480 ( brushless )

Makita dhp482 ( brushed )

Thanks for the recommendations, looking at the Makita at the moment. Is the DHP480/482 a better drill than the Dewalt?

I try to go for the best I can afford at the time.

Millerz

Thats the plan!

I dont really know dewalt so i couldnt commentaar on that.

In honesty all of the above mentioned drills of any brand are perfectly gonna do whatever you want them to do :)

I think that in America the black/white Makita are a more DIY range? Someone from America could clarify this :) here in belgium the black white drills are exactly thesame as the team ones but they werd made as a '35 years Makita belgium' color.

Like had been said before: Evert brand is going to get you a good drill/impact.

Makita is going to give you the biggest possible 18v range ( also including garden tools and 36v tools trough the use of 2 18v batteries ) and the fastest charger as standard with tools.