This is why we need codes and inspections

KnarlyCarl

Electricians and whoever else... whats wrong with this picture? Makes me roll my eyes and shake my head.

c25fcd07837c57d87fd611a767cb9b04.jpg

We are in an exremely lenient county for permits and inspect, which is nice because they can be a hassle and cost a little extra. But the picture above represents one of many reasons why inspections should be required.

This garage addition I took the pic in does not require inspections of any kind, no building, hvac, plumbing or electrical. Luckily they got someone in there that knew what they were doing with hvac and plumbing to do it correctly ( the company I work for)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is that #6 feeding a 200a? Awesome. Nice bonding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes my thoughts exactly. I think the homeowners and/or friends did that panel, we were there for the hvac and plumbing and saw that there. I don't believe that is grounded properly either, since there is no wire going directly to a ground rod

Now I really don't know what I'm looking at lol my electrical knowledge is very basic, not 200 Amps worth lol

Jimbo

Oh ok I thought with your electrical tools you have you might know. I only know electrical tidbits from what I picked up working alongside electricians on the same job as I was.

Yeah I believe 200 amp panel needs 4/0 wire not that little thing in the pic. I suppose they could have a 60 amp panel would be better

Oh ok I thought with your electrical tools you have you might know. I only know electrical tidbits from what I picked up working alongside electricians on the same job as I was.

Yeah I believe 200 amp panel needs 4/0 wire not that little thing in the pic. I suppose they could have a 60 amp panel would be better

Ive added 15 or 20 amp circuits but nothing like that, dropping a line for a new ceiling fan or addition is a little different than that lol.

Jimbo

If it's a subpanel its is boarder line legal as long as the feeder breaker is sized to the feeder wire, also assuming this is a sub panel then the neutral and ground cannot be bonded and need separated, all that said why use 200 amp panel? Not a fan of it, but I'm not an electrician by trade so I could be missing something way more obvious.

Ive added 15 or 20 amp circuits but nothing like that, dropping a line for a new ceiling fan or addition is a little different than that lol.

Jimbo

Same here, we can run our own electric power for a furnace or a/c unit or whatever, again with the jurisdiction we're in nobody cares what we do lol.

In this application the 200 amp breaker is only a panel disconnect, the protection would be at the supply breaker

Ok sure I see. I guess I dont know where it feeds from, didn't check that. If it feeds from a 60a in a main panel at least it won't have a chance at melting the wires, but it's still not done right?

If it's an add-on, as was said previously, i'm pretty sure it would be a violation of code to bond nuetral to ground at a sub panel. That's not too big of a deal though. The people who did this may have actually done it safely and just tried to save some coin, but it doesn't look like it. From what I can tell that looks like #6 or #8 wire. I'll go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt. This is fine as long as the breaker that feeds this panel on the main panel is rated for no more than 50 amps regardless of what the sub panel main breaker is. If it's rated for more, then you have problems. I get the feeling that it is rated for more though just because the panel looks like it has enough circuits on it to draw more than 50 amps.

Thought I would share a few pictures from on the roof when I put in the drain vent.

0600cd44e7e3e5e515ab35a9915d9c47.jpg

07726c665fe891cec9274b288a65dd02.jpg

bd5a9ab9686564b954a155fc7f8e95ea.jpg

Exposed nails everywhere, I told the homeowner there is no excuse for this, I hope he can get that taken care of. An Amish crew did the construction and roof, they are giving themselves a bad name lately, this isn't the first time I've been to a place they screwed up on.

Thought I would share a few pictures from on the roof when I put in the drain vent.

0600cd44e7e3e5e515ab35a9915d9c47.jpg

07726c665fe891cec9274b288a65dd02.jpg

bd5a9ab9686564b954a155fc7f8e95ea.jpg

Exposed nails everywhere, I told the homeowner there is no excuse for this, I hope he can get that taken care of. An Amish crew did the construction and roof, they are giving themselves a bad name lately, this isn't the first time I've been to a place they screwed up on.

Hahaha. Oh man. This is a great one. I think that this is the best ice seen. It takes the cake. I guess it doesn't rain there so not worried about leaks. They may have nailed back through the deal if it hasn't leaked. I can't wait to show someone this. I'm going to show my wife. Even she'll get what's wrong with this pic. Lol

Millerz

• Like 1