Speed Bore v. Daredevil

JimboS1ice

Watch it. Like it very much. Will have to buy a set of Erwin's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are nice, I was amazed how the milwaukee runs them like butter, my dewalt (3 speed) struggles on high speed though with it, you have to run it on 1 or 2... the larger sizes that is.

• Like 1

I use daredevil have had for a few years I first used on a remodel at my in laws I sware by them but thanks jimbo now I'll have to go get a set of speedbores. I'll be running some electric wire at a cousins add on and try them out will use 3/4" or 7/8" I'll try to compare. Nice video jimbo thanks keep up the good work.

I use daredevil have had for a few years I first used on a remodel at my in laws I aware by them but thanks jimbo now I'll have to go get a set of speedbores il be running some electric wire at a cousins add on and try them out will use 3/4" or 7/8" I'll try to compare. Nice video jimbo thanks keep up the good work.

I'm just the opposite, have always used speedbor. Daredevil has advantages, it seems like they would be easier to sharpen with a file to finish the job, and extend their life, im always going thru wood that has hidden nails in it and have to sharpen them up again. With the Bosch, it's only two points to sharpen and looks like it would be easier to do as well having one less to get in the way when I sharpen it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you want less sharpening, I'd recommend the way harder, Irwin groove power. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-10507764-Blue-Groove-Power/dp/B003KIWKS4/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QGNMVZ2MJ3KRR898B98

I have both bosch, blue groove and the little borther speedbore, and the  groove power

Even goes through nails. But not screws! Damaged one of mine and tried sharpening with file. You could really feel the steel tips being a lot harder.

The hardened part is indicated.

If you want less sharpening, I'd recommend the way harder, Irwin groove power. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-10507764-Blue-Groove-Power/dp/B003KIWKS4/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QGNMVZ2MJ3KRR898B98

I have both bosch, blue groove and the little borther speedbore, and the  groove power

Even goes through nails. But not screws! Damaged one of mine and tried sharpening with file. You could really feel the steel tips being a lot harder.

The hardened part is indicated.

Im assuming that thats the Europe version of the speed bores? 

"In 1885, Charles Irwin patented the Auger bit and, along with four business partners, formed the IRWIN Auger Bit Company in Ohio, USA. Over 125 years later, IRWIN is still the leading manufacturer of wood drilling bits and accessories. "

Huh didn't even realize this, been here in Ohio 10 years and still learning about these things here and there.

Yeah these bits appear to be the same as the speedbor

"In 1885, Charles Irwin patented the Auger bit and, along with four business partners, formed the IRWIN Auger Bit Company in Ohio, USA. Over 125 years later, IRWIN is still the leading manufacturer of wood drilling bits and accessories. "

Huh didn't even realize this, been here in Ohio 10 years and still learning about these things here and there.

Yeah these bits appear to be the same as the speedbor

Nice tid bit of history.

Im assuming that thats the Europe version of the speed bores? 

Dunno what you guys over seas got in your warehouses, but the two of them is not just similar versions. Becouse there is ton of difference on the silver ("power) ones, and the blue ones. (I have both)

And here in europe, they sell them side by side. The silver, of course being the most expensive, and the blue being the cheap.

The blue ones is just as quick, have 1/4" hex and might have a little bit less of tearout, but have a soft cutting edge, just as most other spade/wood bits. 

The silvery ones, with the grey tip are of much harder steel (or hardened a lot more). And uses a more powerfull 3/8" HEX shank (exception being the 14mm). But since it is made to not break down on nails, it doesn't have the "side-cutters"  that cuts the back surface of the wood when exiting, making it have a little more tear-out. But all in all, it may save you some dollar in the long run, if you are drilling a lot of holes. :)

post-50323-0-43280300-1456196864_thumb.j

But be carefull of screws, that gives them a real beating. GIven that they are hardened too. Not buttersoft like nails. :)

Edit: I remember that my semi-cheap tin-coated spade bits died completly trying to cut through 1mm of alu... Was a bit surpriced. 

Dunno what you guys over seas got in your warehouses, but the two of them is not just similar versions. Becouse there is ton of difference on the silver ("power) ones, and the blue ones. (I have both)

And here in europe, they sell them side by side. The silver, of course being the most expensive, and the blue being the cheap.

The blue ones is just as quick, have 1/4" hex and might have a little bit less of tearout, but have a soft cutting edge, just as most other spade/wood bits.

The silvery ones, with the grey tip are of much harder steel (or hardened a lot more). And uses a more powerfull 3/8" HEX shank (exception being the 14mm). But since it is made to not break down on nails, it doesn't have the "side-cutters" that cuts the back surface of the wood when exiting, making it have a little more tear-out. But all in all, it may save you some dollar in the long run, if you are drilling a lot of holes. :)

attachicon.gif20160223_040340.jpg

But be carefull of screws, that gives them a real beating. GIven that they are hardened too. Not buttersoft like nails. :)

Edit: I remember that my semi-cheap tin-coated spade bits died completly trying to cut through 1mm of alu... Was a bit surpriced.

Thanks for this info, I'll look into those hardened larger shaft ones you provided a link for

I would still take the daredevil bits over speedbor.  I've seen ~15 piece sets of the daredevil bits at home depot for $10, but the best I can find for speedbor is six bits for $20 and you have to buy the other sizes individually.  The speedbor bits are pushing the price of an auger bit but the performance isn't there.  I've used the daredevil auger bits which are about the same price as speedbor and they can even take some screw hits not just nail hits.  A much better deal imo.

• Like 1

I would still take the daredevil bits over speedbor. I've seen ~15 piece sets of the daredevil bits at home depot for $10, but the best I can find for speedbor is six bits for $20 and you have to buy the other sizes individually. The speedbor bits are pushing the price of an auger bit but the performance isn't there. I've used the daredevil auger bits which are about the same price as speedbor and they can even take some screw hits not just nail hits. A much better deal imo.

I agree the Bosch are way cheaper than speed bores, although I did chew threw some light gauge steel no problem by accident with the speed bore, if I was running all day, grab the Bosch, cheaper to replace, easier on the drill, if your drill is lower power it's hard to control the speed bores sometimes, especially harder words, the speed bores IMO are over priced, I got them as a gift, just crazy to pay 30 bucks for them and only getting 6

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk