hich belt sander: Porter-Cable 352VS or Hitachi SB 8V2

RayAmb

After using a Ridgid R27401 belt sander for 2 months, it seems apparent that its not going to stand up. The dust collection system no longer works and the belt is not tracking. I need a more professional grade tool.

I'm trying to decide between this Porter-Cable model and the Hitachi SB 8V2. They are nearly the same price here in Canada.

The Hitachi's 9 amp motor is more powerful than Porter-Cable's 8 amp motor.
The Hitachi has a 5 year warranty compared to Porter-Cable's 3 year warranty.
However, the Hitachi is significantly wider and this might limit its manoeuvrability.

The Porter-Cable has more metal construction and with its top-mounted motor, might be better for sanding in narrow spaces.

Does anyone here have experience with these two belt sanders? Any recommendations?
Which model will be more durable in the long run?

Thanks Jimbo, KnarlyCarl,

My interest in tools? I'm new to this. Last summer I started renovating my grandparents old 1920s house. Thinking it was a small job, it soon became apparent that nearly everything needed to be fixed. I've learnt a lot and found that its cheaper to buy the tools I need and do the work myself than hire it out. At least for the time being.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I've seen belt sanders but never used them. So I can't give you any specific advice. All I can tell you is that if you spend at least 150 on a belt sander, I am sure it will be quality and will last. So sorry to hear about your old one bighting the dust, that sucks man. :(

If only that were true.  There are some pretty mediocre belt sanders out there for $150.  The high end ones like some makitas are more like $250.  I've seen people use those like a planer.

When you're renovating a house that old, it's never a small job, glad to hear you're taking it in strides and BUYING SOME TOOLS!

We are definitely curious to know how it's going, any pictures of the place, give use the run down on the tools you're using, fill us in! 

Thanks in advance (TIA) ha

My Makita is from the early 90s and still going. You didn't say anything about it. Just my experience with belt Sanders. The Makita has been the better one of the others guys have had in know. But in Its heyday porta cable made some of the best stuff out. I'd try my luck with it I think...

Millerz

I dont own a belt sander,but i have used them,and i know a facility I worked at before had quite a few Porter Cable sanders.. I do own quite a number of Porter Cable items and each tool I have is great.

Im not all that familiar with Hitachi other than whats going on with them recently. Last couple years Hitachi seems to have stepped up their game,aquiring Metabo,releasing tools that can actually give the others a run for the money.

I personally would choose the Porter Cable,thats based off of ive been using them for a long while,might not be what everyone calls the best but at the end of the day the work is still finished.

seeings Porter Cable invented the belt sander you would think they would produce the best one....but who knows if that is the case I have a belt sander that I use now and then and it works for my needs it is neither brand you are asking about however so I can not comment good or bad.......

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this.

I was tempted by the Porter-Cable, but I just found the Hitachi SB 8V2 belt sander on sale for $20 less and purchased it. It was on sale for $150 CAN, which is $80 less than its normal retail price. For a 5 year warranty, it seemed too good to pass up. The Makita might be better, but my budget was capped to below $200. While the Porter-Cable's casing is all cast metal, and the Hitachi's is partially plastic, I'm going to hope that it will hold up. The famous Makita sanders are also partially plastic so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm returning the Ridgid - it has a 90 day unconditional warranty. It worked well and looks well-made, but as I mentioned, the dust collection system failed and the belt no longer tracks properly after only 2 months of light use. I'm not at all confident that it will last more than a year or two. Back it goes and from now on, I rely only on tools made by the proven brands.

I'll add some photos later of my renovation! Thanks for asking. When it was built in the 1920s, the house had nice fir door trim and baseboards. Over the years, various owners had painted over the woodwork. I stripped it all down to bare wood and the house should have a 1920s charm. I found out the hard way that the best way to strip old woodwork is simply to use a planer to remove all the paint and varnish and rip it down to bare wood. I then used a belt sander to remove the planer cut-lines and smooth everything out. This was at least 10x faster than using chemical strippers and about 5x faster than using heat guns. For finer woodwork and mouldings, I still had to rely on a heat gun. Next job is to sand and refinish the hardwood floors.

• Like 1

I've been using the heck out of my Ridgid 27401 and it's been working well for me, but then again I'm not even remotely a pro wood worker, which is probably why I went with the Ridgid instead of a heavier duty daily use model.