Invisible Bullets

JMG

In 1978 I was sent on a six month temporary duty assignment by the US Army to aid in the atomic clean-up effort in the Marshall Islands. Over the three year period that this project was in effect, thousands of veterans, along with civilian contractors were exposed to hazardous waste as well as other types of hazards in an attempt to clean up the Enewetak atoll so that the original people who had been displaced by the nuclear testing conducted there could return, and once again claim it as home.

While the intentions of those that oversaw this project may have been good at heart, the truth is that at the time they still did not know enough about the overall effects of even short term exposure to the radiological contaminants that those of us tasked with removing them would be subjected to. Protective gear was in short supply and most of us generally performed our jobs without even a dust mask. We have begun comparing the work as to having been shot by invisible bullets while performing our duty to our country.

The following is taken from a current article in the American Legion magazine: http://www.legion.org/magazine/231267/toxic-paradise

The article mentions some current proposed legislation (HR 3870) aimed at helping some the vets that are experiencing issues related to serving on this project, to get some well deserved assistance from our government. The government currently does not class us as being atomic veterans, even though we were exposed to radiation as part of our service, and denies many vets and their families needed medical and monetary aid. It is currently estimated that there is an 80% chance that your congressional representative would not even know about this proposal if you were to ask them to support it. So, if you have the chance or opportunity, please ask them to do so.

Thank-you.

780815-03.thumb.jpg.8f765dc9bdacba28597a

Lojwa base camp at low tide, Aug 1978. Population 600 plus, no women. :(

• Like 2

Fortunately Chris, as of yet, I am not one of the vets that has been afflicted with any of the related major issues. I have had some comparatively minor problems that I believe were caused by that particular tour, but the VA does not share my opinion on the matter. I was listed as partially disabled by the VA for other service related injuries, and have general access to VA treatments, but any mention of exposure related issues is generally rejected due to, and I quote, "not being identified by the medical community at large as being caused by exposure to any form of radiation". I do feel the weight of the matter though, as the estimates for those that have passed on from related problems is a higher than normal percentage.

Thanks Stercorarius, for spreading the word. As a group, through social media, only a bit over three hundred of the estimated eight thousand who served on that tour have been located, and attempts to get the government to supply a list of those service members, has not been successful. Working at changing the laws, is our best bet to help any of those that remain unidentified.

780909-03.thumb.jpg.4da0711d0a167b0a7032

Sunset, Sep 78, Lojwa, Enewetak Atoll.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is link is for a pdf of the actual article from the American Legion Magazine, for anyone who is interested or is willing to forward a copy to their congressional representative or senator; https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/American%20Legion%20_Invisible%20Bullets_.pdf?token=AWwyTk_YYWkxVCb_clR1oSKUjbvScNJiqPT9lx6Fk45JCow12Qb6leYkM7W5ZwG-8pKfo9i5ip84NVw10Xg_WVpe0Rsx_M26FlrTm0uLh6s7dXcn8-fWKy3poxXQOM7BOaHR3kJFYD2Pb4Sx4A4HjuVXZqqhM3lmwm7C62KywwIwMw

780906-04.thumb.jpg.87cd9aff4fa7d41d3931

Night flight of the mail chopper.

I just don't get it, it seems like the VA has no problem helping those with typical healthcare from aging but stuff that was caused directly by serving our country seems to be pushed to the side...f-ing ridiculous.

It's like those tests done with LSD in the 50-60s, literally ruined people's lives. It becomes declassified and those people sue, oh but there's no proof they were the ones the LSD was used because no names were declassified and despite circumstantial evidence piled 50 feet high.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One more link for anyone who might take interest in the story...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/05/stricken-vets-who-cleaned-up-after-1950s-nuke-tests-seek-help-from-lawmakers.html

780818-11.jpg

Area just south of the rose.

One additional issue related to living on that tiny island for six months; All of our water used for bathing and drinking was processed from the same radioactive environment we were living in. While most impurities could be removed by the processes available at the time, radioisotopes would not be included in the list...

The major difference here is that 9/11 was high profile where we were victims, and could get major political points for response, where the issue of exposure of veterans is part of a long process of mistakes made in the name of military war science that can raise issues of blame and lack political points outside of doing the right thing.

780817-01.jpg

Night flight number two.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best uses ever for a nuclear powered plant that never was...

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/20/this-failed-5-3-billion-nuclear-power-plant-in-germany-is-now-a/21348189/#slide=3866560|fullscreen

Too bad it was even built, but at least it never generated any waste that would need clean-up.

The article in this link has "some" good information pertaining to the island of Runit and shows some pictures (probably taken from Google Earth), including one of someone resting on top of the radioactive dome. Baffling to say the least that someone would do this on a supposedly quarantined island...

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/01/runit-dome-radioactive-trash-can-on.html

While the comments under the article could be considered amusing, or possibly alarmist at times, they should generally be ignored for their complete lack of accuracy.

780820-39.jpg

Should have sold this one to Microsoft...