Alright friends, going to get serious about my yard and get some OPE

sgand

The time has come for me to start taking care of my yard. We used to pay a guy for cheap, but he isn't doing it anymore. I see 3 options that I need to choose from. 

Dewalt 20v 

Dewalt 40v

Kobalt 80v

I only have half an acre to maintain, and already have a push mower. So that's covered. I do electrical for a living and am in the Dewalt 20v line. I have several 4.0 batteries. 

Since it would be light homeowner stuff, I'm thinking the Dewalt 20v line would make sense since I am already invested in the line and the 5.0 batteries they come with would also be used daily at work. I wouldn't have to worry about keeping a second set batteries, 40v or 80v, charging away in the garage waiting for me to use them on the weekends. 

On the other hand, I've read nothing but good things on the Dewalt 40v stuff. All of the TIA videos are positive (I think) and they really look like workhorses. And I think they are mostly brushless tools. Plus, it had a chainsaw which is something the 20v doesn't. It's also much more expensive per tool. 

And finally on the third hand, is the Kobalt 80v line. I don't know much about their stuff except that they are the Lowes house brand and the lifetime warranty for the hand tools. Not sure if that goes the same for the power tools? Does having double the voltage of Dewalt's 40v line actually make a difference? 

I'm at work and typing this on my phone, so please excuse any of my questions and comments that weren't properly researched. 

Also, I only have a Lowes near by, no Home Depot. Plus I buy most of my tools off Amazon. 

Help me TIA crew, you're my only hope. 

We're your only hope? Uh-oh, you're in trouble!! 

If I was in your position, with the size space you have to maintain, I would seriously consider the 40v DeWalt cordless items. I imagine I would want that extra power and capacity to have available, plus you can get some items down the road that aren't available in 20v. I'm not up into the DeWalt offerings, but if I had to choose, that would be it.

As far as the Kobalt tools, I'm not sure about them but I raise a questioning eyebrow because of my poor experience with many of their hand tools, and I'm not entirely sure of their commitment to good quality.

I know there are posts on this forum about DeWalt's OPE items, check around, sounds like they may have several other things coming down the pipeline

• Like 1

He only has a 1/2 acre and if its already decently maintained he shouldn't have a problem using cordless tools. Dealing with gas ope even if its quality can be a pain in the rear. With a battery powered unit you just slide a battery pack and go. I think the Dewalt 20v should be fine if you don't have to do a crazy amount of trimming or blowing. Dewalt is also releasing a 20v hedge trimmer this spring.

Do you have many trees or beds to trim around? Are you extremely picky about your sidewalk and driveway edges? I still have a Husqvarna trimmer from my lawn business I closed a few years ago but when it dies I may switch to cordless. I have a ton of beds but I use weed killer to put a small edge around everything to cut down on trimming. As for the sidewalks and driveway, I tilt my trimmer to the side a little and run it along the edges. It keeps the grass back just fine without needing an edger. There are many variables when it comes to lawns regardless of the size. If you have several trees a cordless leaf blower is not going to replace a gas blower, but for blowing off your sidewalks it should work fine. I have the Milwaukee M18 blower and I would never attempt to use it for leaves, Dewalt may have a better one though? If you know to use the trimmer correctly you don't need extreme power. I had guys that would run the head of the trimmer against fences, houses, sidewalks, etc instead of using the tip of the string. Then wonder why it wouldn't trim it well and why they always had to restring it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I am amazed that you are limiting yourself to cordless. My first thought when you told me that you had an acre was, thats a lot of yard, a lot to mow with a push mower for one thing, but also asking a lot of a cordless tool to handle. I have seen no pictures of your yard so I can only assume its a finnished yard that is well kept up, and not a rough yard like a field with dips and hills going up and down.

However, I would urge a quality gas powered trimmer from say Husqvarna or Stihl, a backpack leaf blower from Husqvarna or Stihl. Do you have a concrete driveway or pathways that meet up with the yard? If so, I would also urge a gas powered edger as well, brand is less important here as long as its not too cheap of a machine.

However, if you really must go cordless, I really can't recommend anything better then Ego. Ego is the kind of cordless outdoor power equipment. They operate a 56V line for both mowers, and everything in between. I personally think you would get more quality with cordless by going with them, and its who I'd pick if I was switching to cordless.

I do also understand that since you are operating a Dewalt battery platform, your want to stick with Dewalt. I don't necessarily think you will have troubles with Dewalt tools, its just that you might find the power lacking at certain times, such as when your trying to cut down tall grass with the trimmer for example.

Generally I only recommend cordless tools for those who have 1/4 acre or less. But you said you have an acre, so thats a good size yard, and my expert opinion is that you should go with gas powered equipment. Please let us know what you decide.

Another option is the stihl Kombi-system. You can buy 1 power head and buy each attachment separately. You can get a trimmer, edger, pole saw, blower, cultivator and hedge trimmer. There are one or two others but their not as important IMO. I have the KM-90 power head with the edger and am going to buy the rest of the attachments in the summer. It definetly an option without buying a dedicated unit for each.

Powerhead options:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/professional-kombisystem/

Attachments:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/accessories/kombisystem-attachments/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Correct, thankyou for mentioning that to him. I am aware of this system, a few other manufacturers do the same thing. I however had all separate tools, so there was not need to invest in the Kombi power head and attachments. However, it is something for him to look into.

And if you do go with the Kombisystem, do not buy the ready mixed fuel (Motomix its called) from stihl. It is way over priced like $34 a gallon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2016 at 11:38 PM, PROTOOLNUT said:

I am amazed that you are limiting yourself to cordless. My first thought when you told me that you had an acre was, thats a lot of yard, a lot to mow with a push mower for one thing, but also asking a lot of a cordless tool to handle. I have seen no pictures of your yard so I can only assume its a finnished yard that is well kept up, and not a rough yard like a field with dips and hills going up and down.

However, I would urge a quality gas powered trimmer from say Husqvarna or Stihl, a backpack leaf blower from Husqvarna or Stihl. Do you have a concrete driveway or pathways that meet up with the yard? If so, I would also urge a gas powered edger as well, brand is less important here as long as its not too cheap of a machine.

However, if you really must go cordless, I really can't recommend anything better then Ego. Ego is the kind of cordless outdoor power equipment. They operate a 56V line for both mowers, and everything in between. I personally think you would get more quality with cordless by going with them, and its who I'd pick if I was switching to cordless.

I do also understand that since you are operating a Dewalt battery platform, your want to stick with Dewalt. I don't necessarily think you will have troubles with Dewalt tools, its just that you might find the power lacking at certain times, such as when your trying to cut down tall grass with the trimmer for example.

Generally I only recommend cordless tools for those who have 1/4 acre or less. But you said you have an acre, so thats a good size yard, and my expert opinion is that you should go with gas powered equipment. Please let us know what you decide.

The only problem with Ego is that unless I am mistaken, they are only sold at The Home Depot and he says there isn't one anywhere close to him.

I have heard good things about all the systems that you are considering. As a warning though, both Dewalt hedge trimmers are not attachment capable. If that is a feature you need (like I do), the Kobolt one is the only one of those three that is. I use Ryobi 40v equipment and I like it a lot. I have the trimmer (which is attachment capable) and hedge trimmer attachment (for high or deep hedges), chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and blower. All of them work well although I would love to replace the blower with the blower/vacuum, sadly that is currently only available in Australia and Europe.

On 3/23/2016 at 4:38 AM, DaveJr. said:

Another option is the stihl Kombi-system. You can buy 1 power head and buy each attachment separately. You can get a trimmer, edger, pole saw, blower, cultivator and hedge trimmer. There are one or two others but their not as important IMO. I have the KM-90 power head with the edger and am going to buy the rest of the attachments in the summer. It definetly an option without buying a dedicated unit for each.

Powerhead options:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/professional-kombisystem/

Attachments:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/accessories/kombisystem-attachments/

Many manufacturers have weed whackers that resemble this system. I know for example that Ryobi and Greenworks/Kobolt (from what I heard Kobolt 40 and 80V OPE is just Greenworks OPE with a different color housing) offer such systems. 

• Like 1

The only problem is when they discontinue the line in 2 years and you don't realize it till 3 years later when you want to buy a different head and can't find it anywhere.  Thats the thing that deters me away from those all in 1 systems, even like the roy flex, the stihl Kombi, that stuff it sweet.  My dad bought a yardman trimmer and then a edger head, discontinued the line, could never find the cultivator head he wanted. Just my 2 cents

8 hours ago, Cheng Liu said:

Many manufacturers have weed whackers that resemble this system. I know for example that Ryobi and Greenworks/Kobolt (from what I heard Kobolt 40 and 80V OPE is just Greenworks OPE with a different color housing) offer such systems. 

I feel that if your going to invest in outdoor power equipment, spend some more money of quality brand name tools. I personally would never buy battery powered yard equipment. I use it for way to long of a time span at once to make any sense of getting it. If you do decide that you do want gas powered, buy only from any authorized dealer. DO NOT buy gas powered equipment at big box stores. The manufacturers provide lower quality equipment to the big box stores.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

The only problem is when they discontinue the line in 2 years and you don't realize it till 3 years later when you want to buy a different head and can't find it anywhere.  Thats the thing that deters me away from those all in 1 systems, even like the roy flex, the stihl Kombi, that stuff it sweet.  My dad bought a yardman trimmer and then a edger head, discontinued the line, could never find the cultivator head he wanted. Just my 2 cents

Buy all the attachments at once and you won't have to worry about that :P . No but in all seriousness, I don't think Stihl would ever change the line up within a few years.

• Like 1

Buy all the attachments at once and you won't have to worry about that [emoji14] . No but in all seriousness, I don't think Stihl would ever change the line up within a few years.

No I don't either but that's my only concern with the swappable head products because you never know if the sales aren't there and they one day just shit can the idea