Table saw shopping

Conductor562

For me making a significant tool purchase is a much anticipated thing. The time leading up to the date of purchase is like the week before Christmas as a kid. I'd pour through the toy section of the JC Penny Christmas catalog until the pages would fall out. Of course that was all before the Internet so now I just Google myself silly for a couple months. That being said, I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2. The Makita 2705X1 and the Bosch 4100-09. These saws are so similar I almost feel petty going through the comparison process but the tool junky in me just won't allow otherwise. As you would expect there are advantages to both saws. The Makita specs out a little better in terms of cutting speed (4,800 rpm vs 3650), and cutting depth (3.56 in vs. 3 1/8) , but beyond that both have nearly identical features. The Makita carries a bit heftier price tag being about $100 more however, the optional digital rip fence (Bosch item# DC010) is around $100 and I would certainly have to have it if available so in reality I'm looking at identical prices. I feel the spec comparison is just splitting hairs and is not significant enough to matter much so conventional thinking leads me to believe the Bosch is the obvious choice. The only drawback for the Bosch is the stand. It's got good reviews but the handle seems to stick out a lot more and is located at the bottom when in use and I can see myself tripping on it. The Bosch has an awesome reputation but I'm really looking for someone with some hands on experience with the Makita. I'm leaning toward the Bosch but I feel I owe it to Makita to get a first hand account. Anyone?

Sorry, I can't really help other than to say that the Gravity-rise stand is not half the trip hazard you might imagine it to be.

The only one I know who has a Makita table saw, has the last generation in a Rousseau stand. It is a sweet set up with the optional outfeed and router tables, I wish I had one of those stands and have been considering purchasing one for my Bosch but have a hard time justifying it with how handy it is to have the Bosch on the Gravity-rise stand. I have been seeing a few of the compact tablesaws (Bosch GTS1031 and Dewalt DW745) popping up here and there, they do look interesting if all you have is smaller stuff to work on. They certainly are a lot more portable than dragging a saw and stand around.

I really like the smaller Bosch and the smaller Dewalt model, I'm just convinced I want a bigger model.

They could be handy if the what your working on is small, I don't imagine cutting full sheets of plywood on them would be much fun. Then again full sheets on just about any portable table saw isn't really that much fun either.

The Gravity rise stand is is what sold me on the Bosch. It just sets up so quickly. If you end up with the Bosch make sure you get the accessory side and out feed supports TS1002 and TS1003 they really extend the range of the saw.

As stupid as it sounds I really like the digital rip fence accessory for the Bosch. Might even be my selling point.

I guess I'm old school and don't really trust all this electrickery. I would always be checking it against the tape measure I had used to measure for the cut, knowing how often tape measures are off....

They claim it be accurate to 1/32 of an inch which is precision enough for me. I have enough faith in Bosch to put out a quality product.

It is not the saw I would be worried about, often tape measures are off. A bent or loose tip on a tape will leave often leave you with 3/16 or more off, especially when transferring between inside and outside measurements, it is often best to measure what you cutting then set up your saw with the same tape so you know the measurement is the same regardless of the tape measure being true or not. With two different rules, you always have to make sure they match up.

I've always used the same measuring tape for an entire project just for that reason. With the p.o.s. B&D I've been using ANYTHING is an improvement. The only thing it's capable of doing without screwing up is collecting dust or cutting off a finger. It's fine for building something that doesn't need to be plumb, square, level, or accurate within 1 3/4" inches, but beyond that it's useless.

It can be really interesting if your working with a few different people when your tape measures don't sync. If I'm playing cut man for the day, I'll compare tapes against one leg of a framing square, both inside and outside measurements need to be checked, doubly so if your trimming.

There is upside to the Makita. It's the most powerful saw and has the ability to rip 4X4's in one pass. At $679 it's also the most expensive and it tips the scales at a hefty 114 lbs.

The Ridgid specs out extremely close to the Makita. It has a slightly bigger table and is considerably lighter at 95 lbs. It has the same 4X4 rip capability as the Makita which I like. The biggest issue with the Ridgid is that it appears it is the least capable saw for use of a Dado. It has a 3/4 Dado capacity while both the Makita and the Bosch will accommodate Dados up to 13/16. The Ridgid is also the cheapest @ $499.

Lets be honest here, the Bosch is the saw to beat. It has a reputation for being the best saw in it's class and I have to assume theres a reason for that. It's cut capacity and overall power is slightly less than the others, but by all accounts it produces the finest cuts and thats more important to me than a couple of statistics. It appears to be equipped with the highest quality stand, best on board storage, and has the largest compliment of available accessories. At $569 it's the middle man in terms of price but by the time I purchases the digital rip fence attachment for around $100 and the rear out feed extension for around $30 it's now the most expensive but the way I see it you only get to buy so many table saws in your useful life so it's no time to be pinching pennies if you can help from it. It weighs in at 99 lbs. which is a scant 4 lbs more than the Ridgid but still a whopping 15 lbs less than the Makita. If I were buying today the Bosch is clearly my choice. I'm still a month or possibly 2 from the much anticipated purchase so anything is still possible. My biggest question now is why does the Makita weigh so damn much?

The best comparison I've found is through Table Saw Reviews. Check out the Bosch review and the Makita review and give me your thoughts. As a dark horse candidate I also checked out the Ridgid R4510. Let me have your input.

If your into reading tests, Tools of the Trade has a good one, they ranked the Bosch 2nd and the Makita 4th.

I wouldn't be to worried about how much they weigh, a few extra pounds won't make that big a difference unless you will be moving it around all day rather than using it.

I'm starting to develop an aversion to stationary tools without soft start.

if you can, wait for a sale, you can often save big bucks if you don't buy it when the price is high.

Here is a tutorial on finding the deal you want from The Simple Dollar

That is a good review. Ironically it's the rack & penion fence he loves that turned me off to the ugly yellow Dewalt. I grew up using a Dewalt with the rack & pinion fence and I grew to hate it. It was deadly accurate but I can remember at least twice it got knocked out of adjustment and re-calibrating it was a pain in the ass to say the least. It also took what seemed like forever to make big adjustments and while it's not a huge issue, it was annoying at times. I try to stay away from yellow tools as much as possible. It's not any issue of quality or design, in fact it's quite contrary as Dewalt has always provided a quality product with good service life in my opinion. My 4 1/2 grinder refuses to die after close to 15 years, my recip saw has been great, and I absolutely love the 20V Max impact driver, I just get so sick of seeing yellow tools everywhere I go I could puke! I realize this is the same logic that led some kids to sit in the lunch hall and cast spells on me in high school but I can't help it.

I too have lost my taste for stationary tools. The required space is one issue but it's all about portability with as little sacrifice as possible as far as I'm concerned. I do a lot of projects with or usually for my friends and relatives so being able to throw it in the truck and go when needed is huge. I'd love to have the space to have a nice assortment of stationary tools and the disposable income to have a portable everything on top of it, but here in reality it just ain't so.

Oh, I got ya. I believe I'm sold on the Bosch. I've tried to find a reason not to like it, but I can't.

I have the previous version of the Bosch, it has held up well. The newer version has a few worthy improvements, like a much better blade guard and an improved miter gauge. I think you will be happy with this choice.

There is something odd about this saw though. The 4100-09 can be had for $569 with the gravity rise stand. The 4100DG-09 is the exact same saw only it comes with the digital rip fence and retails for around $200 more. The digital fence can added to the 4100-09 for $110. Is there something I'm missing? You can add the fence to the base model saw for $70-$80 less than you can buy the model that comes with it. I can't help but feel there's something I've overlooked.

There is something odd about this saw though. The 4100-09 can be had for $569 with the gravity rise stand. The 4100DG-09 is the exact same saw only it comes with the digital rip fence and retails for around $200 more. The digital fence can added to the 4100-09 for $110. Is there something I'm missing? You can add the fence to the base model saw for $70-$80 less than you can buy the model that comes with it. I can't help but feel there's something I've overlooked.

They are saving you the trouble of having to deal with an extra non digital fence, that's got to be worth something, doesn't it?