Cool New Dust Mask by RZ

Nordraw

• 4 months later...

In heavy dust and sweaty conditions, this shows the mask restricts some air in my m1 which means I'll most likely need to get the m2 which sounds like it's more suited for more intense work

IMG_20161106_150038828

I removed the filter to show it after a heavy afternoon use in my basement... I also wrung out a few drops of sweat lol!

• Like 1

In heavy dust and sweaty conditions, this shows the mask restricts some air in my m1 which means I'll most likely need to get the m2 which sounds like it's more suited for more intense work

30811171166_37706eaf70_b.jpg  

I removed the filter to show it after a heavy afternoon use in my basement... I also wrung out a few drops of sweat lol!

My M2 is on its way from Saint Paul, and is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

and it's on sale for only $449.00

http://www.elitetools.ca/en/product/face-shield-120v-trend-uair-pro/

Battery powered, air circulating face shield for use with all woodworking applications.

-           Suitable for use when machining MDF.

-          Approved to new European standard BS EN 12941.

-          New features include:

-          Combination face-seal and hood to improve protection.

-          Motor positioned away from the sensitive area of the forehead to reduce noise and irritation.

-          Attachment points for optional ear defenders.

-          Strategic component distribution ensure optimum centre of gravity is achieved for balance and comfort.

-          Twin filters with efficiency of 98%, more than double the Airshield MK1.

-          Audible low battery warning.

-          Removable 8 hour N-MH battery.

face-shield-120v-trend-uair-pro-5.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Been working great, I used the active carbon insert and was glad I had that available. Sometimes using a lot of silicon can really get to you, it made the difference. I am also more sensitive to smells and dust.

It has been the answer for a good dust mask i've been looking for, short of going full out respirator or like the full shield pictured above.

It's comfortable

It's super easy to place on and remove

I don't have to take off my hat when putting it on or removing

My safety glasses dont fog up

It does take some adjusting before it seats comfortably, but I love it now that i got used to it and I may look into getting the m2 mask, which is more breathable

I was unable to breathe fully with the "stock" filter insert it came with, so i have to use the f2 and f3 filters, which are more than adequate 

The size seems to be on the small size, if you're just on the verge between regular and x-large, go the larger size, that has been the experience with myself, a guy at work, and @John Glassey and maybe some others..Although @NicolasRamos may have had the opposite circumstance, if memory serves right....?

• Like 1

Been working great, I used the active carbon insert and was glad I had that available. Sometimes using a lot of silicon can really get to you, it made the difference. I am also more sensitive to smells and dust.

It has been the answer for a good dust mask i've been looking for, short of going full out respirator or like the full shield pictured above.

It's comfortable

It does take some adjusting before it seats comfortably, but I love it now that i got used to it and I may look into getting the m2 mask, which is more breathable

I was unable to breathe fully with the "stock" filter insert it came with, so i have to use the f2 and f3 filters, which are more than adequate 

The size seems to be on the small size, if you're just on the verge between regular and x-large, go the larger size, that has been the experience with myself, a guy at work, and @John Glassey and maybe some others..Although @NicolasRamos may have had the opposite circumstance, if memory serves right....?

I thought it was supposed to seal around the chin a little better. But that has not affected its ability to handle dust and fumes. In fact the first time I used it was to cut in some 2" holes in a custom bunk bed for some recessed LED button lights, and a single, and one double gang box, for receptacles, switches in the bed unit. No dust, no fumes. Took the mask off. [emoji40]. I would only mention that I wear prescription eyeglasses, and the frames I wear don't agree with the mask. I can usually put on my protectors over top, and then they'll stay in place. However they will start to fog up. I think I just need to make myself use it more, and get the bridge piece comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

605c9b2ac62c4943a1fed1aae877553c.jpgcc9dd498a082575f014c712c074422ce.jpg7004faeaad878797320e4f007328c41b.jpg

• Like 4

It's comfortable

I bought the middle size but it pretty much crushed my nose making it unbreathable, the larger size fits my face much better although it feels a touch big. I've been using mine for quite some time now doing wood working and you really notice a difference, it keeps all the dust out of your nose

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I bought the middle size but it pretty much crushed my nose making it unbreathable, the larger size fits my face much better although it feels a touch big. I've been using mine for quite some time now doing wood working and you really notice a difference, it keeps all the dust out of your nose

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here. I bought the medium one and I can't breathe through my nose wearing it. I'm not sure I want to give them another $30 to test out the large to see if it works any better.  The medium one is unusable for me. 

6 minutes ago, khariV said:

Same here. I bought the medium one and I can't breathe through my nose wearing it. I'm not sure I want to give them another $30 to test out the large to see if it works any better.  The medium one is unusable for me. 

I just called them up, gave them the order number, told them I want to exchange for the x-large. They send me the larger ones, and I return the large in the bag they provide, on their dime. It was easy

• Like 1

I just called them up, gave them the order number, told them I want to exchange for the x-large. They send me the larger ones, and I return the large in the bag they provide, on their dime. It was easy

Did it. Got the XL mask. It fits even worse than the large :(

I don't know if my face is just oddly shaped, but the RZ mask doesn't work at all for me. It's either so loose that it's worthless to filter anything or snug against my face but squishing my nose so that I can't breathe.

There is literally no way that I can put on the mask where it isn't compressing the tip and bridge of my nose. I think the problem is that the straps go behind the neck and so there's no way to keep them from sliding down the back of my neck short of making them super tight. I can tighten it up to make it airtight against my face, but then we're back to the whole can't breathe deal again. Pulling down on the nose isn't a good design imo.

I think the ideal mask would somehow need to attach behind my head up by my ears. This would keep it tight across my face without putting pressure on my nose. This one doesn't do that so I'm afraid I'm just going to put both the XL and the L masks and all of the filters back into the envelope and send them back. Oh well, failed experiment but I'm only out $35, so it wasn't a super expensive lesson at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's unfortunate @khariV and why I've been reluctant to give them a try when I have to have it ship up to Canada. I have a big beak and a fairly weak chin so respirators etc. are generally a try-before-you-buy product category for me. 

Also havent seen mention of osha/ csa approval though I'm sure they likely are. They'd have to be for me to be able to use them outside of home projects though. 

On 1/5/2017 at 9:01 PM, Bremon said:

That's unfortunate @khariV and why I've been reluctant to give them a try when I have to have it ship up to Canada. I have a big beak and a fairly weak chin so respirators etc. are generally a try-before-you-buy product category for me. 

Also havent seen mention of osha/ csa approval though I'm sure they likely are. They'd have to be for me to be able to use them outside of home projects though. 

Forget where i read it, but they technically aren't approved, something about not being tested because of the fee attached, and not being big enough to justify that yet... although they do as good as the best dust masks out there

They are more aimed for the ATV crowd, though, and they actually make two different versions..

From the above instagram post:

• jraydThank you. I have reached out to RZ industries and had a nice conference call with their rep out of Minnesota. Getting NIOSH approval will be a game changer for these guys.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Forget where i read it, but they technically aren't approved, something about not being tested because of the fee attached, and not being big enough to justify that yet... although they do as good as the best dust masks out there

I get that the fees are a problem, but the tests are there for a reason.  Most companies that whine about the fees for certification wind up failing the certification for legitimate reasons, and some even claim they're not certified because the fees when they've already paid the fees and failed the tests.

• Like 1