Makita vs EGO Surprise

It took me some time to find that video, for those looking for it, have a look at their instagram page. ;)

And yes, I found the difference impressive... I admit I expected any of those blowers to lift snow like a pile of sawdust, especially the Stihl and the larger Ego.

It reminded me this review from a TIA reader who switched from the Makita X2 to the EGO 530 and explained that the Makita gave him the impression of a more concentrated air flow that made it easier to move small rocks, even on the lower settings, perhaps having to do with the smaller diameter of the nozzle. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I read a recent review of the Makita x2 36V string trimmer and the reviewer stated it was a better performer than the Ego. This was surprising as well. 

I'll stick with my 20V Dewalt for now, but at some point I'll be considering Ego, Flexvolt or Makita 36V. 

I read a recent review of the Makita x2 36V string trimmer and the reviewer stated it was a better performer than the Ego. This was surprising as well. 

I'll stick with my 20V Dewalt for now, but at some point I'll be considering Ego, Flexvolt or Makita 36V. 

Having read a lot of reviews from various sources in different languages and countries, my current opinion is that you can't go wrong with Makita X2, they offer good-to-excellent options in almost every OPE tool category. 

Only the mower offering seems to be (seriously) lagging behind compared to newer models from the competition (brushed motor, no self propelled option).... But I read on previous threads that the mower is not on your top list anyway.

That being said, choosing a battery platform is a tough question. For my part, I have been changing my mind every two weeks since months and haven't settled yet. ^_^

8 hours ago, stefcl100 said:

Only the mower offering seems to be (seriously) lagging behind compared to newer models from the competition (brushed motor, no self propelled option).... But I read on previous threads that the mower is not on your top list anyway.

and the hedge trimmer. It is also a brushed unit.

• Thanks 1

stefcl100, I'm happy to hear that my review stuck with at least one person :) I have since sold the EGO and purchased another Makita x2. I was eyeing and wondering about the newer EGO model with increased CFM and air speed, but after watching the comparison, I am relieved and wondering no more. My mower and string trimmer are still EGO though... 

On 01/04/2018 at 9:26 PM, bee-man said:

stefcl100, I'm happy to hear that my review stuck with at least one person :) I have since sold the EGO and purchased another Makita x2. I was eyeing and wondering about the newer EGO model with increased CFM and air speed, but after watching the comparison, I am relieved and wondering no more. My mower and string trimmer are still EGO though... 

It was a great review and I enjoyed reading it. No doubt that Ego makes great tools, but with so many OPE review videos on youtube being riddled with comments such as "It's crap, go buy an Ego" or "I am happy with my Ego" coming from their very enthusiastic (and sometimes slightly annoying) user community, it is doubly sane to hear opinions going against the flow. 

@Jronman You are referring to their DUX60 (or XUX01Z in the US), a very interesting system indeed. However, I remember watching a review on youtube where the guy praised it for its power and high RPM but was slighly disappointed by runtime (only 20 mins with two 5 ah packs). He also claimed that the previous 36v string trimmer from makita used to last twice as much in comparison.

I have yet to read other reviews confirming this.

On 09/04/2018 at 2:22 AM, Jronman said:

Apparently the lock button on the Ego is easy to use with left hand. If I remember correctly @dwain oztooltalk's video mentioned left handed use. 

Super easy for right-handers, almost too easy for lefties.

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Dirt guy makes some very misleading videos...he compared a 10 yr old Dewalt drill to a new Milwaukee fuel......he has completely illegal deck framing videos...

The video wasn't necessarily misleading it was just a different perspective I guess. He was basically seeing how old tools compared to newer tools. I don't know much about decks but I'm curious what is illegal about his videos.

On 26/04/2018 at 4:17 AM, Framer joe said:

but Makita does make some good ope....I sold my ego stuff and stayed with 20v Dewalt ope....

Is your decision to sell your Ego stuff based on tools quality or is it more about... let's say... battery consistency ? (sorry, non-english speaker)