Better brushless 18v circular saw: DeWalt or Milwaukee?

aabee

I'm invested in Milwaukee and DeWalt; don't have a strong preference for one platform over the other. I realize the Milwaukee Fuel has been around for a while and I own both 9.0 and 5.0 batteries. Meanwhile I own some 5.0 batteries for DeWalt. Right now Lowe's has a deal were you buy a bare brushless 20v saw and you get a free 6.0 battery. Does anyone have first-hand experience from both? In protoolreview's circular saw shootout the DeWalt finished higher than the Milwaukee FWIW. Thanks!

Power is comparable. The Dewalt is certainly newer design and tech. Dewalt seems to own all things wood. I am not a Dewalt guy, but if I was looking for a new mitre saw, I wouldn’t think twice about buying a Dewalt. Milwaukee makes some great stuff, but the emphasis isn’t on saws. They make good ones, but they seem to be playing catch-up to Dewalt.
Don’t buy Flexvolt because it has a bigger number. Buy it because Dewalt makes good saws. Don’t buy based on hype.

I have the 36 volt (2 battery) saw. The one with the blade on the right side. It has a lot of power and cuts like a corded model. I don't like the blade on the right saws, so I'm getting ready to buy the newly released 36 volt model with the blade on the left. I also have the 18v 6.5 brushless saw. Its a very good saw in my opinion.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:49 PM, HiltiWpg said:

Power is comparable. The Dewalt is certainly newer design and tech. Dewalt seems to own all things wood. I am not a Dewalt guy, but if I was looking for a new mitre saw, I wouldn’t think twice about buying a Dewalt. Milwaukee makes some great stuff, but the emphasis isn’t on saws. They make good ones, but they seem to be playing catch-up to Dewalt.
Don’t buy Flexvolt because it has a bigger number. Buy it because Dewalt makes good saws. Don’t buy based on hype.

In my experience over the past 25 years of building things, Milwaukee excels at circular saws and the Sawzall. Their miter saw is pedestrian and hugely overpriced. While still excellent quality, you get more features from Makita, tighter tolerances from Bosch and a better all around saw for far less going Dewalt. I own every major tool brand in some fashion or another and try buying what's best from each. You want the king of recip saws, go Milwaukee, you want the king of sliders, Dewalt is your best bet. Oh, and get the 779 instead of the 780 and save some cash. Unless you absolutely need the shadow line.I'm going to add that feature to mine in a year or so once my warranty is expired. 

In my experience over the past 25 years of building things, Milwaukee excels at circular saws and the Sawzall.

You want the king of recip saws, go Milwaukee. 

Anecdotal evidence and opinion aside, Milwaukee does make “good” cordless saws.

They are hardly close to being the “king” of cordless recip saws.

Recent reviews and testing put the 18x2 Makita Rear handle and Dewalt Flexvolt quite a bit ahead of the M18 Fuel offerings. That said, I am sure there is a newer Fuel coming out shortly.
As for recip saws, the M18 Fuel is nowhere near top of the heap. In fairness to Milwaukee, their model is a little dated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's exxageration.

It's probably beaten by the lastest Makita recip saws, but is there amongst the top with the new Bosch &  Flexvolt. Comparisons by reviewers have said as much.

Given their age, I think the FUEL recip saw and circular saw have proven to be incredible tools, way ahead of their time. Obviously if they want to be back on top, they'll need to improve them again.

the gen 2 m18 recip is as good as the flexvolt but when you factor in all the extra features it beats the Flexvolt. Performance wise the x2 is slightly faster than the gen 2 m18. Is the x2 faster than the orbital Bosch or Ridgid offerings? I'm not sure but if something is to beat the x2 it is probably going to be the m18 super sawzall. I would guess the m18 super sawzall is the best performer out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this topic not about circular saws? If it is, it’s clear that the upcoming M18 Fuel 2732 > Dewalt XR DCS570 > M18 Fuel 2731, but the value lies with the latter two, and the most power likely lies with the FlexVolt 577 and the Makita rear handle. 

43 minutes ago, dwain said:

oooohhh, shiny! :D:D:D

If memory serves, they specifically mentioned beefing up the rafter hook, the saw coming with a dust bag and vac port attachment included, and the new motor being an absolute monster. The cut depth is slightly less than competitors at 2.5” The old Fuel 7.25” is the 2731, this is the 2732 (I know that doesn’t help you guys much since you use a much more logical model number scheme down there). 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 5:31 AM, dwain said:

The 'new' 7-1/4" M18 unit is just the same 7-1/4" saw with a 12Ah battery yes?

It is a new "Gen 2 Fuel" circular saw. New motor with more power and more speed would be my guess. Other than the beefier hook, I don't know what else changed.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:56 AM, Bremon said:

(I know that doesn’t help you guys much since you use a much more logical model number scheme down there). 

I feel like DeWALT has some of the easier model numbers to remember. The numbers in the back don't mean much but the 3 letters in the front kinda do. D for DeWALT, C for cordless, then many others to tell general type of tool. F for fasteners, D for drill, L for light, etc. DCF, DCD, DCL, etc. I don't know if officially this is what they stand for but it makes remembering model numbers easier.

I’m sure it is what it’s officially for. N for nailers, etc. Milwaukee’s nomenclature is ridiculously stupid in North America by comparison. The second digit pretty much represents a generation, and the third and fourth a model, with similar tools within a close sequence of numbers, but the numbers themselves are fairly random, while Australias models are more logical like Dewalts. 

01-09 all drills; 2604, 2704, 2804 are gen 1-3 fuel hammer drills, drill drivers through the Hawgs are the first run of numbers. circ saws at 30, 31, 32. Sawzalls at 19, 20, 21, 22. Impacts clog up the 50s and 60s. It’s like computer model numbers. Not completely stupid when you understand it but pretty difficult for a new shopper to clue in to what the good stuff is. I remember shopping Makita 18v for my first tools and said “screw that” when I realized they had a disgusting number of drills and impacts. 

Dewalt does something sort of similar but the letters tell you the type of tool, while similar tools have similar numbers; 570, 575, 577 etc.