18V GRINDER COMPARISON - oztooltalk video

dwain

@dwain Dwain if you'd had to take a guess and you would do these tests on the flexvolt grinder.  What You'd think the results would be ? ( Like guessing hypothetically 😛 )

id assume you'd score the power more like 25 ? ( Compared to 20 for the 18v deWalt grinder for example ).

how would the runtime go ? Logically I'd think the flexvolt grinder would have less runtime then their 18v grinder you tested right ? :)

On 9/10/2018 at 8:50 PM, kornomaniac said:

@dwain Dwain if you'd had to take a guess and you would do these tests on the flexvolt grinder.  What You'd think the results would be ? ( Like guessing hypothetically 😛 )

id assume you'd score the power more like 25 ? ( Compared to 20 for the 18v deWalt grinder for example ).

how would the runtime go ? Logically I'd think the flexvolt grinder would have less runtime then their 18v grinder you tested right ? :)

Hi korno.

If it's pure guesswork, I reckon the flexvolt would probably be around 27-30 for power by comparison.

No idea on runtime. It may win because the test would be far easier for it and hence not heat up the cells too much....

22 minutes ago, dwain said:

Hi korno.

If it's pure guesswork, I reckon the flexvolt would probably be around 27-30 for power by comparison.

No idea on runtime. It may win because the test would be far easier for it and hence not heat up the cells too much....

Aha! :) That alot of power difference.

Unless their was a thermal shutdown on a battery do we think that a hotter running battery looses runtime ?

1 hour ago, kornomaniac said:

Aha! :) That alot of power difference.

Unless their was a thermal shutdown on a battery do we think that a hotter running battery looses runtime ?

Yep. As I understand it, heat causes cells to lose efficiency quite markedly. Seems that cold also affects performance - https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

This is why you will never get half the runtime of a 4ah battery on a grinder using a 2Ah battery. 

EDIT: hmm perhaps I'm wrong and increased temp only hurts the lifecycle of the cell, not it's immediate performance ...

EDIT 2: It seems that batteries can have increase 'performance' (meaning amperes out) in high temp, but it also significantly increases the self-discharge rate.