milwaukee 18volt charging issues

tonebone

Gotta 18volt drill bought in 2009, batteries charge...show full charge on battery, but only last very short time. Anyone know how to test the charger to see if it's defective, or if the batteries are defective? Charger is a 48-59-1801...batteries are 48-11-1815. I don't want to buy batteries if charger is problem. .thanks for helping..tonebone

It's hard to say without having batteries and charger in front of me to put a multimeter on but I think that since the batteries are showing full charge the charger is working. I'm thinking the batteries don't have enough "ass" any longer. Kinda like when the battery on your car dies. It may show twelve volts but doesn't have enough power to start the car.........

The battery packs are also getting up in age. If they sat around a lot that's not good for the batteries, or the other issue is you have just wore the batteries out they only have a finite number of charges and discharges before they will fail.

A multi-meter would be the way to tell. Should be getting around 20V if fully charged.

If a 12V car battery is fully charged it has almost 13V's of juice. The same principle applies. Anything down below 19V should be a pretty good indicator that the packs are toast.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will check out the voltage my charger puts out, but it sounds like the batteries have kicked the bucket. The most economical thing is to look at buying new drill kit you can find some good deals online or in store some times with a free bare tool or extra battery. its 120 dollars for 2 M18 compact batteries. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Battery-2-Pack-48-11-1811/203806671?N=5yc1vZc25yZzvZ1z0ulnw A new drill kit is is 159 or cheaper if you look around online http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Compact-Kit-2606-22CT/204322452

New battery just arrived. Had 14.5 volts out of the package.charged up to 18 quickly and holds power like it was a new drill. Gonna buy another battery and keep this drill .works great now. Guess the chargers only put out the 14.45.not sure , just know it charged fully . Thanks for everyone's help/ input ... tonebone.

• Like 1