What type of tools? Automotive wood working? Other? You need to figure out what tools you are planning to put in the box and then find a drawer layout that works best for you. No sense in buying a box with real thin drawers of you want to put power tools in them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What type of tools? Automotive wood working? Other? You need to figure out what tools you are planning to put in the box and then find a drawer layout that works best for you. No sense in buying a box with real thin drawers of you want to put power tools in them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

General hand tools, some air tools, sockets,wrenches etc all my woodworking tools and power tools are on shelves

Unless you just want to spend the money I would look into US General that they carry at Harbor Freight. The mechanics at our company have the high end snap on and matco boxes and some have the Harbor Freight boxes. I generally go out into our shop and see what new tools they have and drool over their toolboxes. Ftom what ibe seen and for my use the HF are just as good and you don't have to sell a kidney to buy one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Most of the younger guys in the shop now have HF boxes due to me telling them to check them out.

I told them you have years to go for that sweet Kennedy stack. I could probably have at least 6 of the big HF boxes for my lower Kennedy alone.

My box weighs a literal ton,I buy beer for ones that can move that thing. Machining tools like pin gage sets and such are super heavy. It adds up quick. The nice thing about the HF boxes is everything is ball bearing slide constructed and the gauge of metal used is strong.

• Like 5

I've been looking into getting a truck box. I may consider a crossbox style or a simple box style. I mostly want it to put my personal tool bag and tool belt. I'm leaning towards something like the Ridgid 2032 box. It's 32" wide. It seems like the right size for me and the price is within my budget. My question is this,how would I mount this box onto my truck bed? Would I need to anchor it down to the bed of the truck? Any input would be appreciated.

dca90f29-7c13-4f14-9d0e-086149af4485_400

2 hours ago, wizbang said:

I've been looking into getting a truck box. I may consider a crossbox style or a simple box style. I mostly want it to put my personal tool bag and tool belt. I'm leaning towards something like the Ridgid 2032 box. It's 32" wide. It seems like the right size for me and the price is within my budget. My question is this,how would I mount this box onto my truck bed? Would I need to anchor it down to the bed of the truck? Any input would be appreciated.

dca90f29-7c13-4f14-9d0e-086149af4485_400

Regardless of whether you have a standard pickup bed or flatbed they definitely have to be anchored down and anchored well. There are bolt holes I  the bottom  of the legs. Drill holes in your bed that line up. Set it in and put some 5/8 or so grade 8 bolts in. On the bottom side of the bed put a small piece of plate (4"x4" or so) on each bolt with a hole drilled that the bolt goes through to disperse the clamping force then a washer and grade 8 lock nut. I've seen a few of these on the side of the road because guys thought they didn't have to anchor them.

• Like 2

Anchored for sure. you can use heavy duty chains too if you had to. Grade 5 hardware would be sufficient enough,and wont pop when any kind of excess pressure is exerted to them. ie someone using a prybar. Just use grade 8 washers

• Like 1

Regardless of whether you have a standard pickup bed or flatbed they definitely have to be anchored down and anchored well. There are bolt holes I  the bottom  of the legs. Drill holes in your bed that line up. Set it in and put some 5/8 or so grade 8 bolts in. On the bottom side of the bed put a small piece of plate (4"x4" or so) on each bolt with a hole drilled that the bolt goes through to disperse the clamping force then a washer and grade 8 lock nut. I've seen a few of these on the side of the road because guys thought they didn't have to anchor them.

Great advice right here. [emoji106]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonylandin said:

The funny one is when it is anchored but not properly like without that plate on the bottom end it will pull the bolt right thru the bed. Good luck

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

Yup! After some time and movement, the steel will flex enough times to crack and the nut eventually pull through, it's too thin of material to not disperse that force

• Like 1

I'd try to drill that into the frame if possible but some plate steel should do the trick...but it's a lot to ask of the bed's steel, in my opinion. Maybe some rubber matting under the box would help keep the box from wanting to slide and widen the holes in the bed floor.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

I'd try to drill that into the frame if possible but some plate steel should do the trick...but it's a lot to ask of the bed's steel, in my opinion. Maybe some rubber matting under the box would help keep the box from wanting to slide and widen the holes in the bed floor.

That is a great idea. It would minimise the rust buildup from losing paint too. That and noise. Old conveyer belting is nice but I'm sure you could use any sort of rubber. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stercorarius said:

That is a great idea. It would minimise the rust buildup from losing paint too. That and noise. Old conveyer belting is nice but I'm sure you could use any sort of rubber. 

Anti-fatigue mat from HF should do the trick

48 minutes ago, wizbang said:

Thanks for all the the tips. I got the idea from a coworker. I'm going to ask him how he anchored it in place.

3328af02ce3c0bac0fdcf4533e48c5eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot smaller than I imagined. Looks like the perfect size for a tool belt and a few bags.

hopefully the hole spacing they give is wide enough to even hit the frame. would depend on truck. and hopefully you can drill with out hitting anything else.

If you have Rhino lining or something similar in your truck bed that would eliminate the need to add padding.