Okay, you Midwest guys....

BK13

My bro-in-law went to work at the Catholic College Mothership (aka Notre Dame) and had to start right away, so my sister stayed behind to sell the house and pack up all their crap. Well, to supervise my dad and I packing all their crap, LOL. So last week, my parents and sister started making the drive to South Bend. They get about four days into the (very touristy) trip back when my sister calls me and asks if I can fly out and drive my parents back. It seems like my nearly 80 year old father is having problems staying awake for more than about 30 minutes in the car. A bit problematic when you are driving half way across the country. And my (also nearly 80) mother cant do all the driving.

Soooo, long boring backstory behind us, what noteworthy, toolwise, things do I need to see? I have plans to hit a Menards before I leave ND, and I plan on hitting a Northern Tool somewhere in Nebraska. We'll be taking I80 to I70, and staying a night or two in Colorado Springs at my aunt and uncles's place. Maybe a night in Elko, NV, to see a cousin.

Thanks, fellas!

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Going to be around Chicago at all?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying in at 0 dark thirty and heading straight to The Golden Dome. Probably catch a five hour nap, a quick tour of the campus, then heading West at the butt crack of dawn the next day.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BMack37 said:

You can stop by Manti Te'o's girlfriend's house :D

I'm sorry I'm of no help, I don't know the area at all. I've been to Indiana once when I was a kid.

If I want to go to fantasy land, I'll be in a place where i have all the workshop space I need, and all the money for tools and projects I could want. And a Snap On driver.

• Like 1

On May 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM, DR99 said:

Not too much help here being in Michigan :(

The Fam actually did get into Michigan yesterday. Probably not very far into Michigan, I'll bet....

• Like 1

Well, I got the tour of ND's campus, complete with mention of Touchdown Jesus, First Down Moses, and Fair Catch Corby. Saw my Sister's dog Phil the Dog. Went to Michigan for a nano-second, just for you, Jason. Went to Rural King, disappointed in the tool selection, cheap hand tools and pretty standard Team Red and Team Yellow power tools. Went back to Indiana and went to Menard's. A huge store with tons of stuff, but again the tool selection was a little disappointing. A lot of private label stuff and some Bosch power tools. I bought a set of angled grip pliers (and a Mountain Dew, of course!). Pics later. As a guy from an area without much snow and ice, and where they don't salt the roads, I'm astounded by how badly deteriorated the vehicles get.

• Like 2

0EF3C3D2-E6F8-49C2-BA3C-F32D13727597_zps

Stopped briefly at a Northern Tool somewhere in Iowa. Here's a joint I could spend some money. Reminded me of a Harbor Freight, but with name brands (I saw a Honda lawnmower and Stihl brush trimmer) and less cheap rubber stench. The Klutch hand tools looked pretty nice. They had the CP and Klutch shorty pneumatic impact guns in 3/8" and 1/2" drive I was drooling over. I managed to walk out of there with only buying a single 1/2" 12 point deep socket, but if I ever get back....

• Like 2