Cordless Planer

Hugh Jass

Finally the day has come. Got my shipment in and unboxed my fancy new fangled toy. Look forward to giving it a go tomorrow and see how it works. I've needed this tool for so long it seems like a mirage in a deep sea of sand on the horizon even though I hold it in my hand. 

Anyone else get theirs in yet or am I first in the US? 

• Like 3

Finally the day has come. Got my shipment in and unboxed my fancy new fangled toy. Look forward to giving it a go tomorrow and see how it works. I've needed this tool for so long it seems like a mirage in a deep sea of sand on the horizon even though I hold it in my hand. 

@davejr got one

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

I am still sad they couldn't design one to outperform the aging Makita brushed planer. Even though it was brushless it could not beat the Makita in power or runtime. And the Makita is smaller by a decent portion.

Tool review on YouTube by the NZ guys.

Exactly what more do you need a cordless tool to do? If you need a power planer, by all means buy a dedicated table top power planer. The video you're referencing had the tester pushing them far beyond what anyone needs to do for a tool. Once you reach the realm of obvious abuse, the argument goes away. Both are good tools and were very competitive to one another. 

As for runtime, throw in one of the new 6ah batteries and come talk to me. 

• Like 2

Exactly what more do you need a cordless tool to do? If you need a power planer, by all means buy a dedicated table top power planer. The video you're referencing had the tester pushing them far beyond what anyone needs to do for a tool. Once you reach the realm of obvious abuse, the argument goes away. Both are good tools and were very competitive to one another. 

As for runtime, throw in one of the new 6ah batteries and come talk to me. 

I agree, I was just stating what I saw. I am on the DeWalt platform and would easily go for their planer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

So have you played with it yet? So far I like it. It worked great on some oak that I had laying around.

Also on the size, was the shoe smaller as well? That's not something you want in a planer I'd imagine. Longer shoe provides a more accurate plane, width adds to stability. I have a small hand plane that I look forward to never using ever again. 

I haven't got a chance to play, been painting one of the houses I'm renovating for the last week. I have a door installation tomorrow and if history is any kind of indication with doors down here (had to cut all but 2 of them thus far) I'll stretch her legs a bit. 

• Like 2

I have mine a while but I'm in Ireland. I really like the convenience of it. One thing I've realised is, if the shoot starts clogging with woodchips it's one of the early signs to change battery even if u feel it's still performing to full power. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

LOL!! That bad huh?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's a cheap Stanley I bought just to hold me over till this thing came out...unfortunately that was a long two years. 

Got to play with it today, things got gobs of power, crushes through clear fir and leaves a great surface behind it. Look forward to years of use out of this guy. One thing I wish it had was a plastic clip on shoe protector so I could let it roll around with the rest of the fleet on my Dewalt shelf. Need to come up with something.