Combo Kit rollout schedule

Tormund

Ok, so to repeat myself, looking hard at Ryobi and Rigid for my first lithium tool set. 

I feel like what I really need to complete some home projects is a impact driver and a 6.5 inch saw.

Really impressed with the state of tech at the moment and the price points, but still need to be somewhat frugal.

I would like to purchase an impact drill with speed control but still have a 4 ah battery for the 6.5 saw.

Ryobi currently does not have a kit with these options. Should I wait until they possibly roll this out? (When would that be? Guesses?) Or just get the Rigid equivalent? Buying the Ryobi stuff individually will almost cost as much as a Rigid kit, if not more (x4 kit no speed control though right? + 4 ah batteries). Was even considering the gen5 kit that does comes with one 4 ah battery 4 tools but big chunk of change and I like the idea of picking a Ryobi sander for 40 bucks and other tools for cheap.

2 hours ago, Tormund said:

Ok, so to repeat myself, looking hard at Ryobi and Rigid for my first lithium tool set. 

I feel like what I really need to complete some home projects is a impact driver and a 6.5 inch saw.

Really impressed with the state of tech at the moment and the price points, but still need to be somewhat frugal.

I would like to purchase an impact drill with speed control but still have a 4 ah battery for the 6.5 saw.

Ryobi currently does not have a kit with these options. Should I wait until they possibly roll this out? (When would that be? Guesses?) Or just get the Rigid equivalent? Buying the Ryobi stuff individually will almost cost as much as a Rigid kit, if not more (x4 kit no speed control though right? + 4 ah batteries). Was even considering the gen5 kit that does comes with one 4 ah battery 4 tools but big chunk of change and I like the idea of picking a Ryobi sander for 40 bucks and other tools for cheap.

Let me quantify this by saying I don't disagree with Jimbo. But.....;)

The Ridgid has a lifetime warranty.....IF you buy it from HD and IF you register the set.

Ryobi has a 3 year warranty.

Ridgid has a decent 18v lineup of tools.

Ryobi has a HUGE lineup of 18v tools.

IMHO I believe that Ridgid makes a really great high quality tool line but so does Ryobi and the cost benefits to Ryobi make things easier. A full line of drills, impacts, saws, sanders and multi port chargers etc. 

If your using those tools just around the house and might Segway into garage work (air pumps, garage doors etc), then Ryobi might make a great line up for you. I have some experience with both lines, my Father, who does independent contractor work as a retiree, uses Ryobi tools almost exclusively (minus the Fein tool I bought him) and he really likes the lineup. 

In short, you asked about two brands and you asked for opinions so those are mine! Either way, both tool lines have great tools, Ridgid is a bit of a step up in some areas but Ryobi will be adding brushless tools, has a phenomenal impact gun and even a great entry level cordless drill. Their Airstrike nailers are fantastic and significantly cheaper than Ridgids new line of nailers.

• Like 3

Man, just saw some demos of the brushless rigid stuff on youtube. Pretty ridiculous run times. Makes me really take pause before dropping any money on current ryobi stuff.

Thank you for the opinions and advice. I think I'm going to wait a little longer to see which direction the market takes. I can't really work on the projects right now anyways as I'm at the tail end of some schooling.

9 hours ago, Cheng Liu said:

I love Ryobi tools, but one of their primary weaknesses is that their kits don't often contain their best tools. I was able to get the 6 1/2" circular saw CPO for about $40, I thought that was a great deal.

How did the 6.5 saw workout ? Good run times? Nuff power to not bind cutting thick plywood?