Trailers for contractors

regopit

Hey Regopit, obviously not me but remember if your combined GVWR is 10001 and you are in business, you have to get a med card, markings blah blah blah.....

i talked my brothers boss out of getting him a 14000 GVWR box truck so my brother didn't have to get stopped by DOT. They go by combined GVWR too if your in business.

• Like 2

At work we've had a single axle enclosed trailer for awhile, as a install only trailer for furnaces. Stealth is the brand, nothing too special, it worked well, but a sprinter van soon proved it was a better way to go, so it doesn't get used much.

Have three two axle trailers, one bought fairly recently for hauling the excavator for sewer and geothermal jobs. Forget the brand, it's 14000 lbs gross. The other is a tilt deck with Hydraulics to lower and raise, 9000 gross and this thing has been thru the wringer lol!! The tail has been rebuilt, the deck boards replaced multiple times, and various other parts replaced on it (wiring, tires, battery, relay, hoses, axles, brakes, light housings, fenders. Mainly used for the scissor lift and longer lengths of pipe. The third two axle is the spray foam trailer and it houses the gas compressor, generator, all the drums and pumps and etc for the spray foam, can't remember the brand, probably 9000 gross on that.

On the construction site with my dad, he had a company custom build him a single axle trailer with fold down side to throw in osb or sheet goods, the top was setup for ladder rack and all stretched metal sides. Then when he bought the Equipter RB 4000 for his roofing, that took the place of the other trailer. It wasn't meant to carry all your regular tools, but rather served as material that needed to be lifted up to the roof deck, and let me tell you, that was the sweetest trailer you could ask for on a roof removals and install.

I know a guy who goes around to the different auto dealerships, has an enclosed trailer that he works out of. He touches up vehicles that have been scraped or scuffed, has a miniature paint mixing room in their with compressor and scales and when it's nice weather, I can see him out there working on a vehicle at the ford dealership.

Couple contracts around here use trailers to haul their tools from job to job, I've seen haulmark, not really paying attention to what others are using. One contractor I could tell uses his as racing trailer lol there's his ladders and planer and up towards the front is fuel containers and spare tires haha!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Hey Regopit, obviously not me but remember if your combined GVWR is 10001 and you are in business, you have to get a med card, markings blah blah blah.....

i talked my brothers boss out of getting him a 14000 GVWR box truck so my brother didn't have to get stopped by DOT. They go by combined GVWR too if your in business.

Thanks for the info but I have a class A with a med card.

• Like 1

I have a single axle 6x12 V-Nose Bendron Titan that I use for my completely mobile setup, let me tell you it's the way to go. In comparison to a van, I have WAY more space, a ramp to roll heavy objects in and out without having to crawl up in a cab, I can stand up easily, no windows thus more secure, and I can leave it on a jobsite without having to take 3,000 lbs worth of storage weight with me without having to listen to every little nut and bolt rattle down the road. I don't feel bad about tracking dust or dirt inside, I hit it with a blower at the end of the day and lock it up and go home. 

Inside I have a open shelf for all my Dewalt cordless tools for grab and go, a shelf for bagged materials under that, a open shelf for both of my miter saws so I can literally just grab them and go (drilled holes for the feet of the brackets to fall into keeping it secure) these shelves run the length of the trailer, and under that is room for long materials and 5gal buckets I use for storage of large items. Up top a hanging shelf with all my boxed tools and nuts/bolts containers. Across from that I have my table saw mounted to the wall at the back door, my miter saw stand on hooks above that, and in front of that a full size floor to ceiling tool box by Husky with all my hand tools. The V-Nose has my shovels/sledge hammers, brooms, sanding poles and whatnot and a wire rack for various supplies like sandpaper, PPE, spirits, calking, etc...and just inside the door I have a few bar magnets mounted that I throw all my drill bits and blades on for quick access. 

All of this leaves me an isle a few feet wide where I can freely walk and have materials as long as about 14', 4x8 sheet materials and keep it dry. When I do get 16' materials, I just stack them on the roof of the trailer and not worry about the load not being properly supported. I just put a clamp on either end and strap it to the trailer frame and off I go. 

For me it's perfect, and I paid like $2,500 for it out of Lakeland, FL. Compare that to a van if you want to try.